cornering question

-

dazedduster

Reaction score
so a lot of people keep telling me my duster will corner poorly with the big block 383 even if i upgrade the tortion bars, any big block dusters out there care to comment

Thanks

I can't say positively not being a suspension expert or ever owning a big block A-body but in my opinion upgrading the torsion bars is only a step to improved handling. A set of anti-roll bars is a must also with any big block in a A-body car.

For more opinions try posting your question in the suspension section. This is the transmission section and alot of more talented suspension guys may not even look here and see your question.

Having owened a (factory) big block dart for some time, yes, they do tend to plow the corners, but I was not concerned with the corners just straight line, it probably could have been improved with after market parts, just guessing!

Big sway bars front and rear, beef up the lower control arms with some weld on plates, sub frame connectors, big wide tires all four corners, five way harness and a good bucket seat, and big kahunaa's :thumbup:

Handling is easy with a big block a-body. Kraby posted the recipe. Here's the proof.

Cuda 06.jpg

Brings to mind the question.. What is your idea of a good cornering car? For most people a F-150 corners fine, for others it a Miata. A small block duster will corner better than a big block duster with equal mods for the most part. BUT.. The cornering power of a big block duster may be fine for how you drive. I have had 3 Miatas, a BMW M3 and a 3rd gen. RX-7 (that pulled 1G stock). I think my 68 340 S corners like crap, but I choose to run it on E70-14s. As bad as my 68 corners I believe it is cornering at least as well as it did new. Just drive what you are happy with.

I think you missed the point of my son's 383 Barracuda. It handles well enough to compete in Solo II. If it lacks anything, it's horsepower as the 383 is relatively mild. There are simple things to do to get your Barracuda to handle well. The first thing to do is to ditch the 60s technology tires. Second is to upgrade the entire suspension (t-bars, shocks, sway bars, etc.).

The first canyon carver Mopar I saw was a C-body. It was an impressive ride. I'll say it again, Mopars had the best American factory suspension of the 60s and 70s. They lend themselves to handling upgrades very well. You just have to know what to do. Yes, there are other cars that handle better out of the factory, but to put down the efforts of those who choose to go another direction for cornering is being blind.

My reply was to this thread not one post. The point I wanted to make was everyone has a different opinion of what acceptable handling is. For example My Formula S. Compared to modern cars it does not corner very well, but it is built the way I want it (new stock suspension and stock tires) and I am very happy with it.

I made no comment about the above track prepped Barracuda.

My son's Barracuda is more street car than race car (hence the lack of power compared to other CP entries). It was his daily driver in high school and most of his first year of college.

And, yes you had one post in this thread and it was quite condescending on the idea of making a Mopar handle.

The Formula S package was first introduced for ONE reason and that was rally and road racing, NOT drag racing. The handling was on par with the Shelby Mustang, yet the ride was better (and, yes I do have the original road test of a 66 "S" against a GT-350 where this is commented on).

Improvements cost money...set a goal then get to work. I have several friends w/ a-bodies, all set up differently to the owner's taste. From the crazy-priced tubular K-member/coil-over suspension on one to the slightly modified '73-'76 factory suspension at the other end of the spectrum.

Jim

I have nothing Im willing to argue with you. I think 6t8 Dart gets it. Everyone has a different level that they will be satisfied with. For me it is stock.

Dazedduster, slide in that 383 and see how it feels. Only you can decide if it corners well enough or not. If you don't like it, this group can get you where you need to be. You have many options.

"Just sliding that 383 in there" and THEN deciding if he likes it IS NOT an intelligent way to go about things unless your Bill Gates in which case you can do financially irresponsible things like that. For the average joe doing a little research "like dazedduster is doing" in the form of asking "Hey can these things handle with a big block?" Then make a choice based upon others already spent money real world expierence, and not end up saying "Crap I spent all this money and this thing handles like the exon valdez with engine failure, wish someone had said something".

Hi folks,

I'd like to add in my 2-cents if I may. I think that comments on both 'sides of these issues' have relevant points.

Indeed, when someone asks, for examples: "Will a big-block 1969 Dart handle well", or "Will a 440 in my '70 Duster run fast", I think it is fair for someone to ask back: "Well ... what is your standard? What is your benchmark, your target?".

On the other hand, from the original question, it should be safe to make the presumption that the individual asking is concerned about stability when going around corners and is not talking about straight-line driving (BTW - that is not in response to any poster).

Therefore, IMHO, the most relevant comment at this point - w/o further feedback from the OP - is the one from 1968FormulaS340, whereing he states: "A small block duster will corner better than a big block duster with equal mods for the most part."

And that's really just common sense, because a big part of good handling is weight distribution; and the extra 100 lbs from the BB over the SB - and more if larger TBs, strengthened LCAs, larger SBs, bigger disks are added - is all over the front wheels and can only be bad for handling and braking. It will no doubt be more difficult to get a good ride out of it as well.

Ford did a great job overcoming the inherantly bad handling characteristic for fox-bodied Mustangs - but at their best (I'm talking factory here, not supper expensive after market mods), they were never BMW M3s.

Computer stability controls help out SUVs too, but they are only patches at best for vastly inferior inherant handling characteristics.

Everything else being equal, you'll get better handling for the SB. But all things might not be equal for you. So We ask you ...
1. What is your target for handling?
2. Why do you want the BB? ... looks? Torque? Have one already? What?

Best regards,

-
Back