correct Demon hood question

-

chrisnben

MR Badfish
Reaction score
What is the correct hood scoop(s) for a factory code J54- sport hood & V21 performance hood treatment.
Is it the dual scoops or the twin single scoop??

I dunno about the numbers but the 71s were dual-scoops; one on each side like the 70Swingers, and 69 Superbees; and the 72s I think were snorkels,Which I don't care for.
J54 is listed for 70 to 74
V21 for 69 to 74.
So the codes don't seem to be of much use.Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Last edited:
'72 Demon should be the snorkel, or the single with dual inlets. This thread may help some...Dual Snorkle Scoop Information

P8120105.jpg

It is my understanding that though not factory the twin scoops could have a dealer added option in '72 as well as the gull wing spoiler.
Yote

It is my understanding that though not factory the twin scoops could have a dealer added option in '72 as well as the gull wing spoiler.
Yote

Dual single scoops? Yes they can be added by anyone, the underside of the hood was exactly the same for the '72 hoods and that includes the holes and reliefs in the bracing needed for the '71 twin scoops.

But the factory codes would have been for the snorkel scoop and the '72 style blackout. If the dealer added something the codes wouldn't be on the fender tag or build sheet.

Would that not make it also correct for the car year though not for the build sheet.
Yote

The dealer added option? I suppose you could argue that you could add them if you had a car that didn't have the codes for a factory scoop and hood treatment, so they could be "correct" as a dealer option. But if someone is getting that nit picky they'll want to see some kind of proof that they were actually added by a dealer and not somebody else.

Regardless of who put them there, it's not factory, so if you have the factory codes you'd need the '72 scoop and blackout.

-
Back