Correct initial position for distributor

-
make sure you have some swing for the vacuum can to clear stuff regarding setting timing. Don't have it all the way forward close to the intake plenum area.

Where the rotor is currently pointing is fine. Load the wires based on where the rotor is pointing, not the diagram.

Rotor position doesn't matter 1 bit as long as the wires are in the cap in synch with TDC/firing order. You could point the rotor to the rear bumper for #1 tdc as long as #1 was in the rear of the cap.

Last edited:
The photo below shows the FSM orientation of the distributor drive gear. The Rotor is directly in line with the slot so the rotor will point to the first intake manifold bolt on the driver's side. This will orientate the distributor so the vacuum advance canister clears the coil and oil pressure sending unit. The orientation of the rotor to the cap is not affected by the distributor location but by the positioning of the points.

Distributor Drive Gear Orientation FSM.jpg

Great Pic of the FSM, but when the Distributor Drive points to the front left Intake Bolt. The Rotor drops in and points straight ahead. Not toward the bolt.

The photo below shows the FSM orientation of the distributor drive gear. The Rotor is directly in line with the slot so the rotor will point to the first intake manifold bolt on the driver's side. This will orientate the distributor so the vacuum advance canister clears the coil and oil pressure sending unit. The orientation of the rotor to the cap is not affected by the distributor location but by the positioning of the points.

View attachment 1716300216
Which is exactly why I recommend doing it by the book. To have all the room you can have to adjust timing so the vacuum advance hits nothing. I just don't understand why people want to argue with what is the best way. Beats all I've ever seen.

Great Pic of the FSM, but when the Distributor Drive points to the front left Intake Bolt. The Rotor drops in and points straight ahead. Not toward the bolt.
Well......not all of them. Even all of the factory Mopar distributors are not phased the same. Most of the aftermarket distributors are not phased to end up "correct", either. They should be, but they aren't. lol

RRR said: "It is beyond extremely rare for the distributor cam to wear, since the rubbing block is much softer. You do need to put some type of a good high temp grease on the cam, though. Don't glob it on, just a thin film."

That reminded me of the LubriCam saying. "Less Lubricam Last Longer!" Back in the late '60's and early '70's, that is what I used until I swapped to a electronic ignition and never went back to any points distributor.

Hopefully OP is good to go?

Anyway, related............on the Hay Monster..........it appears the distributor was installed backwards. #1 plug wire is run to #6 position on distributor cap. The rest the same......all on opposite side of cap from where they should be. But she starts and runs.

Looks like I would have about 6 to 8 inches of vertical clearance above the distributor. If a guy wanted to rig it right, just lift it up, rotate distributor shaft to get rotor pointing towards #1 and drop it back in? Then run plug wires to where they should be?

Or go with "if it ain't broke don't fix it" option?

-
Back