Correct paint color?

-

Bigdaddypooh

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what the correct engine color is for a 225 slant 6 that came in the 1963 Dart GT (without the aluminum performance package)? I've been to 3 different websites and have gotten 3 different answers ...

Closet to that original red would be regal red by rustoleom. And it holds up better than actual engine paint.

Closet to that original red would be regal red by rustoleom. And it holds up better than actual engine paint.
Found this on mopar1.us but who knows ...maybe they're sponsored by NAPA ...(LOL)

"Bright red color. This "red" color is NOT THE SAME as the "red" that MP sells, nor does commercially available (Krylon, Plasti-Cote) "Chrysler Red" paint match the original Slant-6 red color.
You can find an EXACT match though NAPA. Farm equipment spray paint, International-Harvester red"

And this is from another website ...

eng-colors.jpg

Yellow was only on trucks per one site. I'd go Int Harvester red. But without a stock color (50 years old to boot!) next to it it would be hard to tell if it were wrong. My harvester red block compared to the stock oil pump shields that were covered in grease from day 1 probably showed a more orange hue on the originals, enough to make me paint the originals the new red. Had a stock cast iron pump that was a darker red too so its hard to tell what was correct.

Yellow was only on trucks per one site. I'd go Int Harvester red. But without a stock color (50 years old to boot!) next to it it would be hard to tell if it were wrong. My harvester red block compared to the stock oil pump shields that were covered in grease from day 1 probably showed a more orange hue on the originals, enough to make me paint the originals the new red. Had a stock cast iron pump that was a darker red too so its hard to tell what was correct.
I've owned a couple dozen early A Darts in the early 70's, never saw yellow on any of the sl/6's, EXCEPT on pickup trucks.

I've owned a couple dozen early A Darts in the early 70's, never saw yellow on any of the sl/6's, EXCEPT on pickup trucks.
I have several slant six engines, and heads from the 1960's and all are red. I can't say what is the correct shade red. Never seen yellow on a slant car.

Probably the Duplicolor "Chrysler Industrial Red"

-
Back