Correct upper coolant hose?

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Hey guys. The local Napa has been unable to find the correct upper coolant hose for my 1970 duster. It's a 225, with a thermostat housing that has the hose coming out straight up, and the outlet on the radiator is on the passenger side sticking straight out. We tried a couple different hoses and didn't find an exact fit so we tried a flexible hose, which still doesn't fit right and is now leaking. Anyone know a part number for the correct hose? The thermostat housing is 6 to 8 inches from the radiator and 3 inches offset to the right if you are looking at the engine from the front of the car.

Attachments

• 2013-02-09_13-52-03_599.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 272
ive never had a hard time with the flexable ones mine did start leaking i re tightend and never gave me a fuss.

looks like ud be ok with a flex hose if it was longer to make the loop more gradual its looks like its starting to pinch

often times the replacement hoses are too long and need to be trimmed. I believe they are made to fit more than one application. Yours looks simple enough, just a single 90 degree bend, or thereabouts.. If you have a good auto parts store - get them to let you walk around and look at their hoses and find one with the approximate right shape and diameter, and buy it, then cut to fit. Stay away from the garbage flexible hoses, they are junk, inhibit flow, and pre load the fitting on the rad.

Part number 60910 Good Year , eventually these all flex hoses will take the neck off your radiator .I used to sell them and hated when a person wanted one , great for an old tractor ect.

then try and find a regular hose with a spring in it so it wont collapse. mine has virtually no pull on the rad if routed with enough leignth there fine. his looks like it would break the rad.mines also v8 never ownd a /6 dont know the room or area u guys have to work with.

I have never had a rad hose colapse , neither top or bottom .And i had slants, 318, 340, 360, 383, 440. If it sucks shut there is a problem , air lock prob, and i remember changing thermostats in the slants , and they would air lock like crazy. But the Good Year part# is 60910.

I got mine from the local CarQuest. I had to trim about an inch and a half off of mine for a better fit but that was it. I absolutely hate those flex hoses. I have had to use them on a car or two back in the day. The first thing I would do is yank the spring out. When they start to rust they contaminate the crap out of the coolant. On that flat hose issue if you have one doing it something else is wrong. I have never had one flatten out,
Chas.

Attachments

• new car pics 029.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 226
The current parts store hoses are made to fit the 170 and the 225. You just need to shorten one end of it to fit if you have a 225....

I was just helping a member with his 71 slant. It had the flex hose just like yours. I looked at the upper hose on my 64 slant but couldn't find a number. Anyway, I agree it should be real simple to fit. Looks like all you need is a 90 deg bend, but hard to tell in the photo. ChazRam's looks like one with a 90 deg and 45 deg in the horizontal plane would work. Just look thru rockauto at different cars, if they don't have yours. Most upper hoses are 1.5"D. Many rodders like a 90's Ford V-8 truck upper hose, since long w/ many bends and cheap. With 2 of them you can fit almost anything. Your lower hose is more challenging. I posted a number, but forgot (Gates 60377?). Same hose fit 3 of my Mopars different places.

Mopar P/N 1881 812, NAPA P/N NBH 7344. The NAPA part needs to be trimmed in length to fit. Recommend a proper hose cutter for the job.

Schneiderman , ChazRam: are your radiators original?

On my 1967 170ci and on most slant sixes I have seen the radiator inlet is directly opposite the engine outlet. This makes sense and means a cut to size 90 degree elbow is all you should ever need as many people suggested on this thread. However on both your radiators the inlet is offset and I was just wondering if that is the reason why a "correct" hose will alway be a difficult/impossible fit.

Attachments

• IMG_1630_small.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 175
-
Back