Correct way to hook up transmission cooler

-

kiss

Reaction score
I have a transmission cooler, not using the radiator, for my 727 transmission. I have a question on how to hook it up. The cooler is mounted so that the ports are on the driver's side. The cooler is bi-directional so it doesn't matter which way it's hooked up, but I wanted to check on something.

Should the outlet from the transmission (front line) be connected to the bottom or top port on the cooler? I thought I read somewhere that people said bottom port so the fluid doesn't drain back to the transmission after shutoff? Is this true?

Thanks...

I would run from the outlet of the in-radiator cooler to the bottom of the air cooler. Bottom to top, mostly so it will push air out, and that might not matter actually

My beater RAM had a check valve inline, and there's some chatter about removing them to prevent plugging problems. I went to remove it and turns out someone had already gutted it. If there's any problem, and what I do anyhow, is after starting, put the trans in neutral, not park, which will fill the converter.

I am not using the radiator as I said, this is straight from transmission to cooler, so what are you saying?

-
Back