***Correct Way to Measure for Coil Overs***

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the correct way to measure for coil over shocks.......

I have 14" Center to Center of the mounting bolts at ride height.

How do I know what size shock to order..........

will these work?? is this enough travel for droop and before it bottoms out?

Extended Length (in)
15.400 in.Collapsed Length (in)
10.760 in.

Also what spring rate for the rear of the car 67 Dart Gt with small block/a904?

MadD,
Call Bill at RMS since he sells coilover setups for that car he'll at least be able to tell you the spring rate.
Andrew
PS then let us know

Found this from Bill on another site..........

Question: What spring rate for the rear with Triangulated 4 Link set up?
Bill_Reilly
Re: Triangulated 4-Link Coilover Question

Depends on the weight, but in general, rear springs are usually in the 110-140lb range.

You need to measure the travel at the shock mount extended/compressed and select a shock length that is outside those two measurement. Make sure the shock isn't the limiter.

Since you have what appears to be a ride height lower mount set up, you can play a bit with that. Get the wheels/tires under it and set height where you want and measure away.

As far as springs, I'd start with a 130# and preload it a bit more than say a 150 with less preload. Rather have the stored energy in the spring. The ride would be a bit better, less harsh.

Maybe this will help.
http://www.cachassisworks.com/Attachments/Instructions/899-031-226_drag.pdf

Right now the upper mount is not in, was wondering if I just picked a shock and set it in the middle of its travel if that would work.

Set the diff ti ride height you want. Then fab the brackets, using adjustable brackets on bottom, while looking at sites, for ride height, and travel, for the shocks. Springs interchange, and better if you get adjustable shocks, with adjust for spring length.

Where and how do you measure ride height?

Never mind, I got it just had a brain fart.

You need to measure the travel at the shock mount extended/compressed and select a shock length that is outside those two measurement. Make sure the shock isn't the limiter.

Since you have what appears to be a ride height lower mount set up, you can play a bit with that. Get the wheels/tires under it and set height where you want and measure away.

As far as springs, I'd start with a 130# and preload it a bit more than say a 150 with less preload. Rather have the stored energy in the spring. The ride would be a bit better, less harsh.

Maybe this will help.
http://www.cachassisworks.com/Attachments/Instructions/899-031-226_drag.pdf

Thank's again Rob. That is some good information that I will study.

Do you like their product? The Vari-Shock/Spring combo?

-
Back