Correct Wheels and Tires for 65 Dart GT

-

zephyr

Reaction score
I am restoring my 65 Dart GT vert to original. It has never been modified and has the orig 13" wheels. One modification I'd like eventually to do is a disc brake kit which I understand would require 14 or 15 inch wheels.

My question is what tires and wheels would have been originally available from Dodge dealers? I'm thinking 14" Cragar SS style wheels which I believe were available on the 65 Dart Charger or as dealer upgrades for a Go Go Dart. Do I understand that correctly? What wheels and tires would be "correct" and what width and tire size would work best without rubbing. Thanks.

I am restoring my 65 Dart GT vert to original. It has never been modified and has the orig 13" wheels. One modification I'd like eventually to do is a disc brake kit which I understand would require 14 or 15 inch wheels.

My question is what tires and wheels would have been originally available from Dodge dealers? I'm thinking 14" Cragar SS style wheels which I believe were available on the 65 Dart Charger or as dealer upgrades for a Go Go Dart. Do I understand that correctly? What wheels and tires would be "correct" and what width and tire size would work best without rubbing. Thanks.
My '65 Dart GT has P205/70/14 red line tires with rally wheels.Came that way when I purchased it this past Feb. It is the small bolt pattern. I added frt disc.'s from Scarebird because they offer a kit that works w/o changing the spindles. Great improvement. Also added power booster.

009.JPG

023.JPG

010.JPG

Last edited:
My '65 Dart GT has P205/70/14 red line tires with rally wheels.Came that way when I purchased it this past Feb. It is the small bolt pattern. I added frt disc.'s from Scarebird because they offer a kit that works w/o changing the spindles. Great improvement. Also added power booster.

That looks like a sweet setup. Was it expensive to add the booster and MC? Mine is non power drums and wow is it weak.

The MC,booster and disc/drum distribution block was around $200.The Scarebird kit was $480 + shipping. I used the original hubs and installed longer RH studs. I replaced all the brake lines and all new brakes in rear...around $1k drive out.

Surprise! I think the Cragar SS wheels on the Dart Charger were only 13". Ulf meticulously restored his and knows for sure.

The "big" wheels in 65 were 14 x 5.5 as used on the Formula S, and possibly hi-po Darts, black with wheel covers. This compares to the 13 x 4.5 standard wheel with 6.50 x 13 tires. There was also a 14 x 4.5 that were originally on my 67 non Formula S Barracuda with the 273 Commando but probably not in 65.

Fast forward to this summer when I decided to drive my 64 Valiant 320 miles each way to Carlisle. I had put about 1000 miles on the car since getting it running last fall driving on late 70's vintage 185-80 x 13 radials. They were brand new never used old stock but almost 40 years old.
I had a set of 1971 14" x 5.5 Mopar Rallyes in my stash and decided to go with those because I too am upgrading to K-H front discs. I settled on 195-70 x 14 Kumho tires as they were a close match in diameter to the old 185's at 24.75". My GPS confirmed that the speedo reading is right on with no other changes. In other words, a true 60 MPH reads 60 on my speedo. Dead nuts.
I don't need monster tires with my slant.

Surprise! I think the Cragar SS wheels on the Dart Charger were only 13". Ulf meticulously restored his and knows for sure.

The "big" wheels in 65 were 14 x 5.5 as used on the Formula S, and possibly hi-po Darts, black with wheel covers. This compares to the 13 x 4.5 standard wheel with 6.50 x 13 tires. There was also a 14 x 4.5 that were originally on my 67 non Formula S Barracuda with the 273 Commando but probably not in 65.

Fast forward to this summer when I decided to drive my 64 Valiant 320 miles each way to Carlisle. I had put about 1000 miles on the car since getting it running last fall driving on late 70's vintage 185-80 x 13 radials. They were brand new never used old stock but almost 40 years old.
I had a set of 1971 14" x 5.5 Mopar Rallyes in my stash and decided to go with those because I too am upgrading to K-H front discs. I settled on 195-70 x 14 Kumho tires as they were a close match in diameter to the old 185's at 24.75". My GPS confirmed that the speedo reading is right on with no other changes. In other words, a true 60 MPH reads 60 on my speedo. Dead nuts.
I don't need monster tires with my slant.
Great info, thanks!

Great info, thanks!
they got this site so messed up I cant upload images in private mail so here ya go, last two pics are where I am with your candy canes plus I have done some polishing to see where I am with them but didn't take pics yet they have came a long way as they were in pretty terrible shape, dented is NOT a shape Lol :)

DSCF0333.JPG

DSCF0334.JPG

DSCF0336.JPG

DSCF0337.JPG

DSCF0338.JPG

DSCF0339.JPG

they got this site so messed up I cant upload images in private mail so here ya go, last two pics are where I am with your candy canes plus I have done some polishing to see where I am with them but didn't take pics yet they have came a long way as they were in pretty terrible shape, dented is NOT a shape Lol :)

View attachment 1715133987

View attachment 1715133988

View attachment 1715133989

View attachment 1715133990

View attachment 1715133991

View attachment 1715133992
Wrong thread Wags?

no, try sending pics thru a private message, like I know the url address for pictures
Ah, I see. Pics can't be sent in conversations unless you are a gold member.

-
Back