Corvette Number Eight Pulled From National Corvette Museum Sinkhole

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
Even some of the funkiest Dusters I've seen pulled from fields on this site haven't looked this bad!

Attachments

• 12CORVETTE-master675.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 441
WTF happened to it? That '57 Plymouth that they buried in the time capsule and got submerged underwater for 50 years didn't look as bad as that vette.

WTF happened to it? That '57 Plymouth that they buried in the time capsule and got submerged underwater for 50 years didn't look as bad as that vette.

It got crushed in a sink hole.

The "car guys" here appreciate the loss, of these vehicles. The are going to be restored, but they will never be originals, again.

To me the 57 was the biggest loss. These were all milestone cars.

The "car guys" here appreciate the loss, of these vehicles. The are going to be restored, but they will never be originals, again.

You and I seem to be on the same page.
Some of the rest of these guys.........

George

Yeah I know about the sinkhole deal but it looks like someone took it out for a spin, rolled it half a dozen times and then put what was left down in the hole to hide the evidence.

Never have liked the new vettes and I aint comin down. I liked some of the old ones.

George

Thanks. I've always been a car guy first. I prefer MoPars, especially Dodge "A" bodies, and Plymouth "B" bodies, but I really like them all, manufacturer notwithstanding. Especially pre 1972 cars, and pre 1976 trucks.

RustyRatRod said:
Never have liked the new vettes and I aint comin down. I liked some of the old ones.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"!

Not a big loss IMO! I'm sure the purists will hate me for saying that, but it is what it is. I like the older cars..................

GM has offered to restore all of the cars but the owner (it was on loan to the museum) seems pretty practical. He acknowledges it's a loss and should be used as a sinkhole exhibit. I would imagine it would be worth more in it's present sinkhole state than restored.

George

x3

Paul

I'm not a big Vette fan, but anybody that would wish bad luck on another car guy is just plain ignorance. It's like a Smith & Wesson collector wishing for all Colts to be outlawed under gun control. Then saying good riddance, now all they need to get done is get rid of the Remingtons. Then my life would be perfect.

While it is a shame this happened, there is a vast amount of rarities, not just mechanical, that has been lost in the world to various causes, wars, theft, fire, other natural causes. One off artwork, aircraft, you name it, some of it worth MUCH more both in actual monetary value and in other ways than "a bunch of Chevys"

I do agree, though, that looking down your nose at this just because they are Corvettes or GM is a cheap shot

Thanks. I've always been a car guy first. I prefer MoPars, especially Dodge "A" bodies, and Plymouth "B" bodies, but I really like them all, manufacturer notwithstanding. Especially pre 1972 cars, and pre 1976 trucks.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"!

I'm a mopar guy through and through, but I admit there are other nice cars out there. A loss is a loss in the muscle car (And car in general) world, once they're gone they're gone for good. Doesn't matter if it's a Hemi Cuda, a 340 Duster, A Mustang, a Corvette, or even a Gremlin. Each one that gets destroyed or doesn't get saved is one less in the world and one less for the future generation to enjoy. That being said, when a mopar dies, I feel worse about it than when it happens to a chevy or ford.

My cousin has a GT350 Mustang (1968 or something?), I admit that's a nice car and I've offered to help him work on the restoration. It'd be nice to see it on the road, and I'd be happy to see it parked beside one of my mopars in a parking lot or at a car show.

Nailed, to a tee. How many existing, anymore. I want dirty ,nasty ,American push rod speed,don't care witch brand.

I don't know a whole lot about Corvettes so pardon me if it's a dumb question but which one is that? The only intact thing on that whole car is the back wheel!

-
Back