Cost for media blasting.

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a little cash on the side in what little bit of free time i have
I don't have room for an entire car, nor do I have the room. A fender size and below parts probably is what I can do.
What do you guys useually see as far as prices go for this?

I'm not advertising a service, don't want to get slapped around by the mods here. I'm just inquiring what I should charge to do the work.

I recently called around for quotes. The best price I got was $800 for an entire car. That's in Los Angeles and the car is fully disassembled and mounted on a rotisserie. The price includes all the body panels (hood, deck lid, fenders, doors). The car is a convertible so no roof to blast.

Not sure if that helps you estimate smaller pieces. I do the small stuff myself.

Heres the cost I pay at my blasters place when doing certain items I don't want to stand at my booth for hours doing. Hope this helps...

Rims...$15.00 a piece
Dash frames...$30.00
Bumper bracket sets..$20-25
Rear end housings...$40.00, or about $75 for all the components (backing plates, shock plates and drums

These prices may seem a little low to some in other areas, but I get a lot of blasting done for other people and send him a lot of work, so i think he gives me a break. He also doesn't blast every day and does a lot of blasting for industry so he will include my stuff when he's blasting large orders, and pass the saving along to me!! I can usually wait for my items, as he has a highly sophisticated system that is very efficient, and can run a rim in about 2 minutes. He is also very careful with delicate items!!

In contrast, the machine shop that is in my town does blasting, and charges $35.00 an hour, and it takes them an hour a piece for rims!! Maybe you's be somewhere in between!! Hope this helps, Geof

that's good advice cosgig.it all depends on the equipment and how fast you can get it done.when you said 15.00 for a wheel i thought no way but if it takes 2 min.that's more than fair.just my opinion.

Wheels were $10.00 until fuel hit $4.00 a gallon. He has a HUGE semi-trailer sized diesel generator/compressor that sits outside and it takes $40.00/hr. in fuel to run, part of the reason he doesn't blast every day. He also does gravel hauling trailers and cars and stuff, and he was a water tower sandblaster for a number of years, thus all the large equipmnent. His air dryer and pressure system and his ventilated suit are ultra sweet, state of the art to be sure.

On the plus side, everything in his shop is freshly blasted and painted!!!LOL!! Geof

-
Back