Cost to cut down a C body 8 3/4?

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Anyone had an axle cut down recently?

I have a C body 8 3/4 that I will need to cut down to use in my 75 Colt project.
I am curious as to what the normal cost is for this service.

A guy up here in Iowa quoted me $190 to shorten which included new Housing ends.

And this was a truck dana going to an A body. But regardless of what the width is now. I would guess it would be the same no matter how narrow you go since all they have to do is cut the housing and weld on new ends.

I do the housings for $200 and I supply the ends.

I believe he is asking about shortening the stock axles. The last time I checked into have stock ones shortened the cost was less than $100 difference than purchasing new axles. I just use new axles.

Chuck

I paid around $250. The important thing is the shop has the bushings and shaft (jig) to ensure the ends are concentric with the bearing bores before they weld the end housings on. It seemed everyone had the jig for a Ford 9" but the Dana 60 was harder to find. I expect the 8 3/4 is different again. I know one shop even put the diff housing up in a lathe and skimmed the faces of the end housings after they were welded on. I don't know if this step is really necessary. The $200 you spend to shorten the housing is less than 10% of what the job is going to cost with new axles, diff, gears and bearings though unless you have/find good used gears and diff.

-
Back