Could it be the ecm or coil

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Went for a cruse last night, and right at a stop light she died.Push it off to the side,got fuel,check spark nothing waited a few seconds took at look around to see what is a miss.Tried again we have spark Huston:D. Every thing is like new.So could the ing box witch is a factory unit got a tad too hot or could it be my blaster 2 coil got hot.Any thoughts.

Could be anything. If the box or coil "got hot," it would not cool off "in a few seconds."

Think of the ignition "as a box." That is, does it have power FOR CERTAIN? If it does, then ignore the rest of the wiring. You have to make SURE of that FIRST.

Easy.............hook a clip lead from starter relay battery stud to coil + If you get spark, it's a car wiring problem

If not, get "into the box," that is the igniton system.

Wiggle/ work in--out the connectors --ballast, ECU, and distributor.

When you get problems like this, I'd be carrying spares for everything. Known good distributor, ECU, ballast and coil.

I built this (GM HEI) for testing used engines. I quickly realized it was an emergency system. Plug in the coil wire, the distributor connector, hook the green clip to ground and the yellow to battery, and you have ignition.

hwlcfa.jpg

zu5qn8.jpg

Thanks for the help.WE have spark for sure took out this morning no problems,and yes i have all of the above ya said in the trunk.:cheers:

I keep an on-line spark indicator in the trunk of all my cars but the diesels (guess why). Bought another 2 yesterday on sale at HF ($4?). Not sure what ignition box you have, but all I have seen ground thru the case, so best to run a dedicated ground wire for that.

There is no doubt that intermittent problems are the most difficult to find, no matter what the "subject." I've worked on or at amateur and commercial radio gear, telco gear, HVAC/R, and auto electric systems. No matter what, a "sometime" problem is always the hardest, and can thwart some of the best minds.

That is ONE advantage of the newer OBD-2 IFI systems -- so long as you get at tech that's smart enough to read the results!!!!

-
Back