Could use some tips

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to replace front rotors and having huge trouble removing the 45+ year old LH threaded studs to get hub off and into the new rotor. I've been banging on them pretty good and they show no signs of movement. I soaked them yesterday and today with PB Blaster but so far nothing is helping. Anyone out there have any tricks to getting them out? Thanks

you don't just press / "bang" them out You must either cut the stud off and replace, or use a cutter to cut off the swage (rivet area) on top. Rusty talked about using a 5/8? hole saw

ST-437-500-562.jpg

press the studs out to split the hub
I am in Hartford and have some hub already separated if that helps.

I've already put my new bearing races in the hub so I'm hoping to get the studs out of the hub. Thanks for the offer though. I was able to pound out the studs on the passenger side hub without any issues....

Here's some really good tips.

Attachments

• **** ON A SHINGLE.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 136
Used a little bigger hammer and a little more frustration. Got the remaining 4 studs out. Tomorrows a new day and maybe just maybe I can start putting parts back on.

press the studs out to split the hub
I am in Hartford and have some hub already separated if that helps.

You do NOT simply "press the studs out." You MUST cut or grind the "swage" off the stud. If you don't you will ruin the holes or even break the hub.

-
Back