Couple of questions about an engine swap

-

MoparGirl

Reaction score
My son is working on my 73 Dart Sport. I took the engine out a while ago and sold it in anticipation of putting a 340 in it but changed my mind. He bought a 318 to put in it a few days ago and is having issues with fit. The 318 he bought was pulled from an 82 Dodge truck. The first issue he had was with motor mounts not matching up. He has that pretty much taken care of but now the oil pan is too deep/tall and the drag linkage is in the way. I thought the solution would be to just put a smaller pan on the engine however the oil pump and filter are either in a different location or too long for the shallow pan. Any ideas what he needs to do? According to the parts store (Advanced Auto) there is not a shorter setup for that motor because it came off a truck. Is that true?

You need a center sump car pan and oil pump pickup. Look on Mancini's site. I think they have the setup there for around $100.00, includes the correct dipstick and tube also.

Larry

According to the parts store (Advanced Auto) there is not a shorter setup for that motor because it came off a truck. Is that true?

The problem with the personal at advanced auto is they don't know older cars/trucks/mopar/engines.

A truck engine is no different than a car engine except the oil pan and pick up for the pan. The Mancini racing option is a good one I have done before except the you'll need to pay attention to what exactly is in the kit you get. (Oil pan drain plug may not be in the kit. :angry7: )

Make sure you come here first before Advanced Auto gets a shot. OR at least find the oldest living fosil there.

Make sure you come here first before Advanced Auto gets a shot. OR at least find the oldest living fosil there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rob. I've learned to come here b4 Advanced but my kid pretty much lives there. I'll tell him about Mancini.

Thank you everyone who replied. :-D

-
Back