Covering the dash pad

-

slotto

Bolt Turner
Reaction score
My interior needed a freshening up so here's what I did with my dash pad.
IMAG0426.jpg

Here's the before picture...

As you can see, it's got a few splits and cracks with exposed foam.
IMAG2691.jpg

IMAG2690.jpg

IMAG2689.jpg

I'll be changing the color to black. I went to Wally World and bought 2 yards of vinyl, some adhesive spray and this...
IMAG2695.jpg

I start off by taking a razor blade to trim off the high spots, then I filled the gap with the spray foam.

IMAG2694.jpg

IMAG2693.jpg

IMAG2692.jpg

24 hours later I trimmed away the excess bulge and sand it smooth...
IMAG2698.jpg

IMAG2697.jpg

IMAG2696.jpg

I know I could just spring for a new cap and hide it all but I like the vinyl look.

IMAG2700.jpg

First I gave the crusty pad a good sanding just to give the adhesive to bite to, then wiped it down with a lysol wipe to get it clean. Then measured out about what I would need to cover the dash pad.

IMAG2701.jpg

The spray adhesive said to spray the fabric and let it dry then use an iron to adhere the fabric to your source. I followed these directions with the exception of using an iron. I used a heat gun. The cheapest one HF had in stock. I started in the middle and worked my way out to the ends. I then worked the ends making several relief cuts and removing just enough material as to keep the dash pad covered. Spraying and heating as I went...
IMAG2703.jpg

IMAG2704.jpg

IMAG2707.jpg

IMAG2706.jpg

Before I knew it, I was done. It ain't perfect and I've never done this type of work before but I'm very happy with the results.
Thanks for looking

That actually looks pretty good. Those wrinkles might disappear a bit once parked out in the sun and it heats up inside.

Nice job!

I had thought about doing the arm rest the same basic way. I have new seat covers and thought I could use the old ones to use for the fabric.

they have caps also.i put one on a duster,it looks really good.you have to really look close to tell

My interior needed a freshening up so here's what I did with my dash pad.
IMAG0426.jpg

Here's the before picture...

As you can see, it's got a few splits and cracks with exposed foam.
IMAG2691.jpg

IMAG2690.jpg

IMAG2689.jpg

I'll be changing the color to black. I went to Wally World and bought 2 yards of vinyl, some adhesive spray and this...
IMAG2695.jpg

I start off by taking a razor blade to trim off the high spots, then I filled the gap with the spray foam.

IMAG2694.jpg

IMAG2693.jpg

IMAG2692.jpg

24 hours later I trimmed away the excess bulge and sand it smooth...
IMAG2698.jpg

IMAG2697.jpg

IMAG2696.jpg

I know I could just spring for a new cap and hide it all but I like the vinyl look.

IMAG2700.jpg

First I gave the crusty pad a good sanding just to give the adhesive to bite to, then wiped it down with a lysol wipe to get it clean. Then measured out about what I would need to cover the dash pad.

IMAG2701.jpg

The spray adhesive said to spray the fabric and let it dry then use an iron to adhere the fabric to your source. I followed these directions with the exception of using an iron. I used a heat gun. The cheapest one HF had in stock. I started in the middle and worked my way out to the ends. I then worked the ends making several relief cuts and removing just enough material as to keep the dash pad covered. Spraying and heating as I went...
IMAG2703.jpg

IMAG2704.jpg

Before I knew it, I was done. It ain't perfect and I've never done this type of work before but I'm very happy with the results.
Thanks for looking

There is a trick to the curved surface( heatgun or hair drier on low heat) slowly heat and stretch the outer curve while pulling the inner curve tight to fit, it takes time and patience to get it right. here is mine. 2 hours of stretching just to make it look good to me. this one is padded with 1/4 inch foam and it looks much smoother than the stock look but retains the same shape.

DSCF3592.JPG
-0619.JPG
-0620.JPG

-
Back