Cowl Hood on a 1971 Swinger

-

flatiron

Reaction score
I know this has probaly been posted a couple hundred times. I have a WS fiberglass 4" cowl head that has never been mounted. Looking for photos of one on a 1971 Swinger

I hope you have broad shoulders and thick skin. Not many Mopar guys like rearward facing hood scoops.

Last edited:
I hope you have broad shoulders and thick skin. Not many Mopar guys like Chevy hood scoops.

Except the fact Chevy never truly used that style of cowl.

True Chevy cowl hoods were extra molded sheetmetal to enclose the air box with a trap door opening at the rear similar to the Air Grabber. The rear of the scoop was not open.

True Chevy Cowl Induction.

First pic is a Chevelle. Second is a Camaro.

Time to end the bullshit narrative of a rearward facing open hood as a "Chevy hood."

2012_0823_chevelless02.jpg.jpg

Chevelle Cowl Hood.jpg

Ok then, cowl induction aftermarket hood used primarily on Chevy cars and trucks since Chevy used cowl induction on factory vehicles.

Mopar never used a cowl induction hood, so that style of induction hood is not consistent with Mopar design.

Use it if you like, it's your car. I'm just pointing out why a lot of Mopar guys aren't fond of them...and call them "Chevy hoods"

Ok then, cowl induction aftermarket hood used primarily on Chevy cars and trucks since Chevy used cowl induction on factory vehicles.

Mopar never used a cowl induction hood, so that style of induction hood is not consistent with Mopar design.

Use it if you like, it's your car. I'm just pointing out why a lot of Mopar guys aren't fond of them...and call them "Chevy hoods"

Calling them Chevy hoods doesn't make it so, given the true factory set up's from Chevy.

At that point it's all aftermarket. There is no definition.

It's simply a rearward facing hood scoop.

Calling them Chevy hoods doesn't make it so, given the true factory set up's from Chevy.

Ok, let me change my original post.

Can't seem to find a picture of what the op has. May be he can post a pic. Sorry but when I hear cowl induction and Mopar in the same sentence, there is usually trouble.

Calling them "Mopars" doesn't make it so either. There never was a Mopar Division that built and sold cars...in fact, all they ever manufactured and sold was parts.

It's all a matter of colloquialism and what people call things that they place collectively in categories. Therefore, for many folks, those are "Chevy" hoods.

There is no changing what people call things, just understanding why and what the names mean.

You bunch crying about the hood should get some kleenex.....or is that tissue

Here are a couple pictures and the articles on the cars. I might add that the OP didn't ask what anybody actually thought about mounting a cowl hood on a dart, he asked for pictures. It's his car and he can do whatever he wants. The hobby would be boring as hell if all the cars were the same. Make it yours and drive the crap out of it!

Pro Street 2012 - Car Craft Magazine
ccrp-1301-04-o_2012-pro-street-1971-dart_1971-dodge-dart.jpg

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger - Mopar Muscle Magazine
mopp_0601_01z-1971_dodge_dart_swinger-front.jpg

I can't close a stock flat hood with the carb, intake and breather I run on the Darts.
The Rampage -flat hood won't close > lowered body onto tube chassis

SAM_3765.JPG

SAM_4607.JPG

SAM_4606.JPG

SAM_4579.JPG

Last edited:
. Sorry but when I hear cowl induction and Mopar in the same sentence, there is usually trouble.

You and I both know that's because some guys like to throw their asses.

What's funny is the fact that a lot of those guys who insist that you simply can't - absolutely cannot! - run an aftermarket hood without an "original style scoop are the same ones filling their engine compartments with all sorts of aftermarket parts or advocating 200R transmissions and HEI ignitions.

Man, I knew just by reading the title of this thread that it would take a turn.

Sure enough... Never fails.

Mike, your Scamp is one of the best I've laid my eyes on. Was hoping you'd post a pic. Great work my friend!

Here are a couple pictures and the articles on the cars. I might add that the OP didn't ask what anybody actually thought about mounting a cowl hood on a dart, he asked for pictures. It's his car and he can do whatever he wants. The hobby would be boring as hell if all the cars were the same. Make it yours and drive the crap out of it!

Pro Street 2012 - Car Craft Magazine
View attachment 1715068398

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger - Mopar Muscle Magazine
View attachment 1715068399

bluNblu coming through as usual!

Bigdummy, a member here, has one on a 69 Valiant, and it looks sharp.

-
Back