Cowl induction

-

racingsnake440

Reaction score
I want to run a cold air induction setup on my 63 Dart. I don't want to put a scoop on it and don't really have the room to run any ducting past the radiator so I was wondering about using the air from the cowl vent by making a couple of holes into the cowl plenum and ducting them to the air cleaner.

I'm not sure that the vent opening between the wipers has enough area to flow sufficient air although it is in a high pressure area which ought to help.

Does anyone know how to work out the required area to supply the engine with enough air? It's only a mild 360 making maybe 300-350Hp

Unless you want seal off your heat/fresh air, I wouldn't do it or you'll end up with a car full of fumes.

I go along with ramcharger. I did this with my car a long time ago & the inside of the car always smelled like raw gas.

Well I don't have a heater and I'm happy to lose the vents too. Did your car run ok with that setup? Any pics?

There's cold air, and there's forced air. You want to use the high pressure area below the windshield, so really, the larger the hole, the more pressure will be put at the carb. Cold air means you can draw from a wheel well, or below the front valence. The valance deal would be the best result IMO. Certainly easier than cutting and fabbing some ductwork that has to keep water out, flex, and seal well enough to keep the fumes away. Another idea would be using the '72 340 air cleaner, witht eh vaccum door, and fab up a duct to the right inner well. Then it's only open when you floor it and need it.

racingsnake440 said:
I want to run a cold air induction setup on my 63 Dart. I don't want to put a scoop on it and don't really have the room to run any ducting past the radiator so I was wondering about using the air from the cowl vent by making a couple of holes into the cowl plenum and ducting them to the air cleaner.

This is exactly how the race Z28's had their cowl induction and how Nextel Cup cars get their air so it is a good place to get air. But like the other guys said if you do not seal off the openings (heater & vents) to inside of the car you shouldn't do it.

Chuck

Can't see it being that difficult to seal up the vent openings inside the car and so long as the duct tubes to the air cleaner are above the cowl plenum floor level it shouldn't be a problem to keep water out (not that it rains much in So Cal anyway...)

Don't think there's enough room to run ducting from under the front valence but the wheelwell idea could work.

Any idea what the area of the opening on a Nextel cup car is? I guess if they've got about 750hp then about half the area should be ok.

'64 Cuda - any pics? (or anyone else for that matter)

the amount of pressure is dependant on vehicle speed. HP numbers really are not what determines the size. It's as big a hole as you can get it. So the maximum pressure is pushing the air in. As long as the entry to the carb is the same size (no smaller) as the carb neck, it will only help to have the biggest duct opening at the cowl you can fit.

BTW, rain will move up too, if it's pushed hard enough..lol.

racingsnake440 said:
'64 Cuda - any pics? (or anyone else for that matter)

I did this in 1974 when the car had the stock 2 bbl. Sorry, no pics. I just added a second snorkel to the air cleaner & faced the snorkels to the rear. Then I hooked up a couple of flexible hoses from the snorkels back to the firewall. At the top of the firewall there were two openings into the cowl area with oblong plastic plugs in them. I cut the middle out of a spare set of plugs & hooked the hoses into them.

-
Back