cowl panel

-

71dartstroker

Reaction score
I Need Some Help . Can The Cowl Panel Between The Windshield And Hood Be Removed? Or Better Yet How Can I Get The Leaves And Trash From Inside The Cowl.

dropping the heater box under the dash is really the only way. You can get a shop vac hose in there and get the big stuff. It's a real PITA, I really wish our cowls were removable, at least like the e-bodies and '71+ B bodies.

Like Uselesss said you can go at it from the under side of the dash with a shop vac and some kind of attachment. Use compressed air blown through the cowl vent to move any leaves or dirt around. I also read here somewhere that a member cut 2 holes in the front of the cowl(inside engine compartment) and then put some plastic body plugs in the holes when done.
I cleaned mine out when I had the fenders off and could access the sides of the cowl.(there are small drain openings that get clogged and start the whole rust issue). Good luck, hope this helps.

I remember when I was 15 and we brought home my 68 fastback (1985). It had been under an oak tree on blocks for about 12 years. I had to put my arm up into the vents and pull out the leaves, one handful at a time... I remember filling up a 35 gallon trash can with leaves from the cowl and the doors. Find a teenager with a small arm to help you! Maybe a large shop vac tube can be flexed up in there to help suck some of it out. Oh, also make sure that the drains (seen through the hood hinge openings) are open and flowing. That will help prevent overflow leaks (wet floors).

You can flush it out from the top with a high pressure hose. There is a drain opening on each side back behind the hood hindges. The debrie that goes out those is trapped or drianed again under the fender. If you dont have rocker mouldings it is fairly easy to rmove the 2 lower fender bolts and pull out on the bottom of the fender a little. Watch for the alignment washers to fall out and get them back in the right groupings.

-
Back