Cowl problems

-

plymouth71

The Moomobile
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 71 scamp /6 and every time it rains I get a little puddle of water on both front floor mats,the windshield has been replaced and tested and retested,firewall is solid and have no missing grommets or plugs.I was told the cowl is full of dead leaves and pine needles...etc and the only way to correct this is to remove the front fender and clean out water runoffs,I have never heard of this and I have owned two other old mopars and never had this issue.If this is true and I can get it cleaned out is there something I can do to prevent this?Thanks

Are you sure the wiper pivots and seals are good.

You can flush the drains on the cowl without removing the fenders if you know where they are. Have you searched for photos of A-Bodies without fenders?

Take a look at the side of the cowl area and see if it looks stopped up,you should be able to see blockage if it's there.

Are you sure the wiper pivots and seals are good.

You can flush the drains on the cowl without removing the fenders if you know where they are. Have you searched for photos of A-Bodies without fenders?
All the wipers and seals look pretty good,but I haven't looked at them in detail,I have searched for pics of scamps,darts,swingers that are being restored but couldn't make out much detail on th,e cowl,I have never heard of cowls causing this type of problem but I guess it could happen?

Take a look at the side of the cowl area and see if it looks stopped up,you should be able to see blockage if it's there.
I looked as far as I could see but I didn't see anything that looked significant enough to allow water to get to the inside,still trying to find out exactly how the water is getting there,especially on both sides

All the wipers and seals look pretty good,but I haven't looked at them in detail,I have searched for pics of scamps,darts,swingers that are being restored but couldn't make out much detail on th,e cowl,I have never heard of cowls causing this type of problem but I guess it could happen?

Shoot some water on it and look inside. If it is coming in the fresh air or heater/AC then the cowl vents are the issue. If it drips under the wiper pivots then you know where to focus your efforts.

Shoot some water on it and look inside. If it is coming in the fresh air or heater/AC then the cowl vents are the issue. If it drips under the wiper pivots then you know where to focus your efforts.
Will do,Thanks to you and all for help, this has been a very annoying problem

Cowl drain Pic from a 69 Barracuda, but all A-bodies from 67 are similar.

Drain area is circled in red.

Attachments

• Cowl.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 215
Might be a little better view.

IMG_2909_zpss40fxfco.jpg

Sometimes on the passenger side if there are any smog related parts or leftovers you can take it off and see what you might be dealing with in there.

Like this stuff.

Attachments

• DSC_0055.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 177
Try searching this cowl drain problem here on this site, as I wrote some excellent information on this, and how to help cure the problems your having.

After using a water hose on the car the bottom fresh air boxes have water in them,so I think I need to really check the cowl drains,Thanks all

aka...mouse access holes. their entrance into your vents/ heater box/ car interior.

After using a water hose on the car the bottom fresh air boxes have water in them,so I think I need to really check the cowl drains,Thanks all

Sounds like the drains are completely plugged, and more than likely your cowl is full of crud. The airboxes have a tall flange on their opening to keep water out, if it's coming in then you have to be filling the cowl close to 2" deep with water for sure. Or the bottom pan of the cowl is rusted out near the airbox openings and it's just running through.

Here's a few pictures of what the car looks like with the upper cowl removed, the tall flanges are what keeps water out of the vent air boxes.

E96E0906-1C0B-47D3-86BD-492B590B6265_zpsaudihzwq.jpg

95725879-C18D-42AE-A526-C7D1EBC8CEF4_zpsixpwomos.jpg

dscf2038-jpg.1714822259

And they back up full of junk. This is what came out of my cowl on my Duster

IMG_1090_zps4ba1d898.jpg

I just removed my airboxes and reached my arm up into the cowl to pull most of that down. Then I used some compressed air from the drain side to get the rest, and when I was finally pretty sure I had most of it I took a pressure washer to the cowl vent and blew the little stuff out. After I cleaned the floors of course.

There's also this method, but you have to be able to weld to do this. More than likely your cowl looks something like this inside to get water into the air boxes.
73Dart-CowlLekage-IMG_1469.jpg

Or, it could look like this...:eek:
dscf2008-50-50-jpg.1714822262

Here's another thread on cleaning out the cowl, most of these pictures are from it. any tips on cleaning out the cowl?

Last edited:
-
Back