cowl rust problems.

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 66 Dart has severe rust problems around where the heater box and vent holes are. When I removed the vent box from the drivers side the whole pan came with it. All the way to the bracket for the parking brake. The passenger side is only a little better. My question is if I am not going to use the heater could I weld in a patch over the air intake area in the cowl to stop the water? I tried to patch the pan but have had no sucess.

Is this the fresh air vent you are speaking of on the driver's side?
I always thought the heater box was on the passenger side.

The fresh air vent on the drivers side is totally gone the only part of the pan left is the area around the wiper mount and the area that holds the parking brake mount. The heater boix side is rotted around the vent hole itself. Im gonna try to get a pic soon.

I tried to take pics today but camera went haywire. My question is would there be any bad effects if I were to weld closed the fresh air intake. I am talking about the grated area at the base of the windshield. I was in there today and there is nothing left to the pan that collects the water. There are even some pinholes up by where the windshield wiper motor mounts. The first 18" on either end are completely gone.

The cowl grill's sole purpose is to provide fresh air to the cabin interior. If you don't want fresh air or need to use your heater/defroster in the winter, then you probably have no other option but to close off the grill. I'm not sure how the air mix doors function in the heater-A/C box, but the blower fan might need to draw fresh air in. Nowadays in our cars, the conditioned air is recirculated inside the cabin with one control position, or it draws fresh air in another control position.
(Someone chime in here if you know how the old system works)

This should serve as a warning to us all... make sure you routinely check the cowl drain holes to clear away any leaves, twigs, pecan shells, dead mice, or other debris. If they get plugged up, water will sit there and eat away at the metal. This also contributes to the wet ankles when taking a corner, because the water gets up over the lip of the fresh air intake.
icon8.gif

Jerry

Thats a sucky problem you have there.

As stated above you can close it off but you wont have any fresh air ducting and your heater wont work well. Any chance to locate good used pieces and install them ? Sounds like work i know - but it might be worth considering if your car is valuable enough. Remember that these pieces will work from any style 66 A body valiant, 4 door dart, etc. These pieces are probably spot welded in, but Im not 100% sure how it all goes together.

74 sport is 100% correct about keeping crap out of that area as well. make sure to flush water thru there and see that it drains out properly.

-
Back