cracked dash pad

-
Baking soda and super glue combined

Covered one here with black alligator. :D
It was pretty bad.

IMG_5500.jpeg

Following! I have the same issue. My. Dang near mint original 1969 barracuda dash cracked this winter made me sick! I thought about trying to repair it with some of that Eastwood dash repair "bondo" I just don't know how I would match the grain pattern. Sure I could fill it in no problem but then you would have one part of the dash sanded down smooth the rest textured.

20240202_164802.jpg

10-4 captain...grind down Crack with small dremel cone.. slightly (1/64) deep...run a river of super glue in Crack and make it snow with baking soda.....Will get hard and you will have to make texture by using a strip of same texture vinyl from small strip underneath and over lay while still damp and quickly remove...texture is hard to duplicate...good luck

Sorry no pictures but every repair I've ever done you could slightly see the repair I've never did one 100% flawless

Usually when it cracks it splits the two portions raise in the center and usually you have to dig pretty deep to get it leveled out that one doesn't look bad at all

Lots of videos on the internet about this I think I learned from a guy that was restoring a early 240Z Datsun and he had major repair work on a dash and he seemed to have done it flawlessly

That sucks, right in the middle of your dash. Save some money and buy a new one. If you haven't done it before, remove the front seat or seats and lay down. You can reach your hands up behind the dash and remove the little nuts. You'll be happier with the results

I think they have caps also.
I used a dash cap on my '69 Dart and am pleased with the results.
It looks like a factory dash pad at a glance, and has fooled a lot of people not in the know.
But, it isn't right if you are interested in anything but a ''driver''
No restos apply here.
I don't care what the instructions say about ''you can do it in the car dash installed'', take it out and put it on.
It's fastened with clear silicone and needs a lot of clamps.
I mean like 50... lol
And the removal of the dash pad is a major pain in the ***, but it's worth it if you are going to put a cap on it.

Last edited:
I "almost" like that...:)

I almost like it too, kinda sorta almost.
It’s better than it was with its guts hanging out.

That sucks, right in the middle of your dash. Save some money and buy a new one. If you haven't done it before, remove the front seat or seats and lay down. You can reach your hands up behind the dash and remove the little nuts. You'll be happier with the results

I know all the details involved in doing it right.
Not going to do it.
Whoever ends up buying it when we decide to sell instead of it sitting in the sun in the driveway and baking can do that.

I almost like it too, kinda sorta almost.
It’s better than it was with its guts hanging out.

I know all the details involved in doing it right.
Not going to do it.
Whoever ends up buying it when we decide to sell instead of it sitting in the sun in the driveway and baking can do that.
No worries man ,and I get it. Upholstery work and things like that arent as easy as it looks. I think the gator skin would be ok it just looks like maybe it needed stretched tighter however that still involves taking the pad off,contact cement etc.etc. it gets involved for sure.

I rebuilt my B-body dash pad. They have a similar "vinyl covered foam" design and cracked badly. In simple terms I ground down every crack removing anything loose. Then I filled each crack with Fiberglass Jelly in progressive steps until it was filled. Then I used Polyester body filler (Like Evercoat Easy sand) to allow for a perfect smoothness. After that I applied texture to match across the whole thing by using spray paint and then "dry-rolling" the area with a foam brush of a close texture. I practiced off part a lot. I experimented with many blacks (flat, matte, satin, etc.) and found the Valspar "Matte" matched the original very close. Here are some pics of it complete. (I did the same for the glovebox).

Dash is from a 69 roadrunner.

RGAZ
IMG_1181.JPG
IMG_1182 (2).JPG
IMG_1209.JPG

-
Back