Craigslist Freak - $400 drum brakes

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
Sorry, I couldn't find the running craigslist crackheads thread to post this.
Just ran across this while browsing along my travel path:
Car Parts

Only $400 for a rusty master cylinder and 10" SBP drum brake spindles & hubs, and you better live in CA to even apply for this great opportunity. Expect to talk to a spitting, ranting codger, but you might talk him or her down to $390.

Perhaps doesn't know one can buy a beautifully restored rare SBP factory disk brake setup for $900 from a member here, about the same for a Wilwood disk kit, $500 for a 73+ disk setup, much less for a Scarebird disk conversion.

And to the detriment of the hobby some dumbass with more money than brains will buy them and from then on rusty old comon as hell parts will always be 400 bucks.
Cynical I know, but I can't help but think this way. :D

And to the detriment of the hobby some dumbass with more money than brains will buy them and from then on rusty old comon as hell parts will always be 400 bucks.
Cynical I know, but I can't help but think this way. :D
For good reason, cause things have a way of repeating themselves.

TV doesn't help. An episode of the new Hawaii Five-O had McGarrett Jr desperate for a master cylinder for his dad's 70's Ford. As a special favor for saving his family, a mechanic came up with the elusive part. Perhaps they don't have Autozone on the island or can't get to rockauto's webpage. Some TV restoration shows run up very high bills doing fairly normal work. FantomWorks often quotes $40K+, but that does depict the reality of paying $50+/hr for skilled technicians.

I find it interesting that the seller is limiting his potential customers to only CA buyers LMFAO

"Offers out side California do not make a offer....."

From what I see, people don't know what things are really worth, or what a realistic selling price is. That and you get people that think anything MOPAR is gold.

Good catch. That is an MC for a front disk car, so probably not correct (though would work). Also, not sure when the wire top retainer started.

While spindles & hubs are valuable since not available over-the-counter and thus "salvage only", so many people change to front disk setups that such parts are in abundance.

There are disk brake kits out there that use the 10" drum spindle. The brand escapes me at the moment.

Just sayin

Yes, Wilwood and Scarebird make 10" front disk kits. But, they also have kits for 9" drum spindles. The main reason to change from 9" to 10" spindles & hubs is because the 9" bearings are a bit wimpy (SET1 and SET3, I recall). Both outer bearings failed in my 69 Dart w/ 9" drums, spinning the race and ruining the hubs.

-
Back