crane 1.6 rockers on indy la-x heads

-

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
my motor is finally getting close but having a problem with my geomitrty of my 1.6 crane gold rockers sitting to far forward on my new indy headed valve stems .It seems they want to sit a bit past 1/2 way on the valve stem. I had them on my 340 j heads and they sat back a little bit before 1/2 tho I don't remember the lift . my new cam is 525 and the heads are brand new indy la-x heads I had them make 2.02 Has any 1 else had this problem with 1.6 rockers I called crane and they said that they thought they should sit as they did on the stock heads . it looks if it lifts 3/4 open it will fall past the valve stem and KAPOW. has any 1 else had this problem or know why the rocker should be shorter,. or is the geometry of the valve cut wrong in my heads . please professional help needed I waited way to long for this motor it is hyrolic cammed with brand new indy rhs heads cut to 2.02 but they sit the same on the exhaust also .it seems indy used smaller diameter valves also ,wich takes more room away before the roller falls of the exhaust side

The real culprit is the rocker arm pivot length. This is a common problem with the Crane Golds. The pic here (all credit to Andy F) shows the difference in the pivot lengths of some various rockers. Comp aluminum, Indy, Hughes, Harland Sharp, Crane Ductile Iron, CAT (Comp stainless knock off junk). The Crane Gold isn't pictured, buy is similar in length to the HS rocker. Here is a link to a guy that has a kit to actually fix the issue. http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4099405039.html
7658068-4822786-rockers_zpsace23095.jpg

sorry here are some pictures of my new engine but they don't show the problem , but gives you a vision thanks screws I will try to get intouch any info going to help here from guys like you this motor is being built bye mike at performance research . builder of many sprint car ,midgets ,modified truck and tractor pull championchips out of Sun Prairie wisc.

1971 360+.030 crank .000 kb 4.030 pistons. eagle rods indy la X heads cca 20-228-4 hrdrolics 3 speed auto ,
double roller chain, p series clevette , crane 1,6 roller rockers , m1 intake ,all the goodies 2 years behind but my 340 was a rocket so life goes on , ran into a minor problem here , soon to be cured I may sell my red barracuda if any body interested pm me for morepics and throw an offer .this motor is for my blue 1965 barracuda Bad Medicine

Attachments

• new motor 001.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 523
  • new motor 002.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 504
  • new motor 003.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 504
Wow! That's some chit! Now I really learned something new and cool today Fo-sure!

So now it's stupid question time again, who makes the best "CORRECT LENGTH" roller rocker arm?"

Did you run a sweep test yet? What are the valve spring installed heights?

I don't think Winston did it because you need the pushrods and everything installed. It's when you mark the valve tips, mock up the valvetrain, and turn the engine through the intake and exhaust cycles and then read the scrub pattern on the tip of the valve. Sometimes your eyes can play tricks. I do a sweep and look at the rocker relationship at mid lift (not max) during that sweep test.

Ink the valve stem and do a sweep test.
As for that rocker arm pic by skrews, the crane are the shortest 'looking' and would give the least problems.

More than likely the stem heights need addressing, but a sweep test before cutting the stem height is what should have been performed. I always ask the customer what rocker they are using and do a sweep, I even have heights logged for referencing later on

Can the op show a side view pic up close ? Need to see if the valve needs to go up or down.

-
Back