crane cam gold roller rockers small block LA

-

Byron Gray

Reaction score
I need to replace a rocker arm and I can not find one. dose any one have a part number for them? the rocker arm had 60-1.50 on them. i believe the adjuster nut was for a push rod with a 5/16th cup on it. engine is a 360 .040 over with 340x heads.
enigne.jpg
push rod.jpg
rocker.jpg

I might have some but I am out of town for a few weeks

i am not to sure what that is do you mind explaining a little more please?
And throwing it out there that maybe that adjuster pushed it too far out and push rod may have been interfering with the push rod tube in the head. Depending on lift, base circle, roller or not... it can happen. Look for shiney spot on the push rods.

And throwing it out there that maybe that adjuster pushed it too far out and push rod may have been interfering with the push rod tube in the head. Depending on lift, base circle, roller or not... it can happen. Look for shiney spot on the push rods.
Ok I will take a look at them. When I changed the cam I had to shorten pushrod it's a hydraulic flat tappet lifters and were set to 0 lash what the cam card said.

I don't think the gold rockers have been available new for some time? You might try asking on the various forums for sale boards or ebay for a single.

From that picture, I bet that rocker could be repaired. If you can't get a local shop to do it, try Rocker Arms Unlimited. Rocker Arms Unlimited

I don't think the gold rockers have been available new for some time? You might try asking on the various forums for sale boards or ebay for a single.

From that picture, I bet that rocker could be repaired. If you can't get a local shop to do it, try Rocker Arms Unlimited. Rocker Arms Unlimited
From the part number the one member posted above nobody had them I didnt check cranes site but another member messaged me and he said he has a brand new one he could sell

Ok I will take a look at them. When I changed the cam I had to shorten pushrod it's a hydraulic flat tappet lifters and were set to 0 lash what the cam card said.
You're probably fine then, it's the tall lifters that get us into that issue.

If that's all the damage I'd tootsie roll that up, run a tap through the threads and run that mother bear.

That's nothing.

Also, I can tell you with that rocker you need to correct the geometry. You may not think it's much, but I'm betting the shaft has to go up .150 or a touch more and away fro the valve probably .060 or skosh more.

Mike at B3 racing engine makes a custom shim kit to correct that. You just take a couple of simple measurements and he makes the shims. They don't break the stands and your valve train will be much happier. You will need to buy longer pushrods.

Any time you have a fixed rocker shaft like the Chrysler, and you change one thing, like the overall length of the valve, increase the lift, change the rocker ratio, add a roller tip or all of that causes the shaft to be in the wrong location. There are only two fixes. You either order the kit from Mike or mill the stands down and buy offset rocker shafts and stands. To do all that is going to be 7-800 bucks. Last time I looked, Mikes kit was under 200 bucks.

Or, you can do what the majority of other Chrysler guys do and forget I said anything. They all say it was running, it's nearly stock blah blah blah. It's still wrong. And the fix is simple. And it works.

I need to replace a rocker arm and I can not find one. dose any one have a part number for them? the rocker arm had 60-1.50 on them. i believe the adjuster nut was for a push rod with a 5/16th cup on it. engine is a 360 .040 over with 340x heads.
View attachment 1715332224 View attachment 1715332225 View attachment 1715332227
In your second photo it looks like the adjuster isn't very far out of the rocker body, like your pushrods are a tad too long. Those pushrods look aftermarket and have quite a cup. That cup needs clearance between it and the rocker body. Just an observation. I also noticed in the first photo that the adjusters stick out of the top of the rocker arm quite a bit.

In your second photo it looks like the adjuster isn't very far out of the rocker body, like your pushrods are a tad too long. Those pushrods look aftermarket and have quite a cup. That cup needs clearance between it and the rocker body. Just an observation. I also noticed in the first photo that the adjusters stick out of the top of the rocker arm quite a bit.
They are set to zero lash and yes i did have to shorten them i didnt shorten them by much so I may need to shorten them some more.

They are set to zero lash and yes i did have to shorten them i didnt shorten them by much so I may need to shorten them some more.

Technically they should be .287 out of the rocker BUT...there are some iterations of that rocker that Crane put out that have the oil feed hole to the adjuster lowered in the body. It's easy to see. If the hole breaks at the threads, you use the .287 number. If the hole is lower than the threads you need to hang the adjust down a bit more and IIRC it comes out about .312ish. I hated those rockers because lowering the adjuster changes the geometry and the longer that adjuster hangs down, the more exposed threads you have. And they can fail there.

I just looked at your rocker. It should be .287 out and the plus/minus is .050 IIRC. You have the correct oil timing in that rocker.

View attachment 1715332224 View attachment 1715332225 View attachment 1715332227
The MP rockers are Crane. I did see a single rocker for sale here at FABO. I can’t remember much beyond that. IIRC, $35 it is.

Good luck with the search.

-
Back