Crane cam information

-

1966Post

Reaction score
Good afternoon
I picked up this camshaft and matching lifters from a friend. He installed it new but its a little too big for his street driven Duster. Anyone have an old Crane book that lists the duration @50?
Thanks in advance
IMG_20240815_104352.jpg

If I remember correctly,,,,,,Crane had a bunch of cams like this during that period .
The duration was the prefix numbers,,,,310-320-330,,,,,advertised,,,not actual .

I’ve got one laying downstairs,,,,not for your engine size though .
Cam,,lifters,,,adjustable iron rockers,,,,,it was a really good package back in the day .

Tommy

50 year flashback.....70' Duster's/Dart's 340 4spd, 4.56's, single plane, 750cfm. Screemin' around the drive-thru. :) Those were the days.

Look for a 3/4 race cam (I forgot the emoji :lol: )

Last edited:
Thanks everyone Yes he installed it many years ago Never drove the car much original 70 340 Duster 4 spd 3.91's and had the heads setup for that cam with the Crane white/blue springs Crane retainers and had the valve guides cut down for for clearance

figures he had less than a couple hundred miles on it but very fun miles!

I had that same cam in a 68 Barracuda 340 4 speed car back in the early 70's. I wasn't a nice street car cam as the RPM range was from 3500-7000. I tried swapping it into an automatic car with a stock converter and it was a pooch on the street. I swapped it back to the 4 speed car and never looked back. The guy who ended up with the Barracuda turned it into a full time bracket car and loved it.

I don’t think that’s a Fireball grind. I don’t remember that grind being that big at .050 lift.

@RustyRatRod used several of those cams. His memory is better than mine.
That cam is well before any of the Fireball stuff. THey just referred to it as "SS320" and later changed it to "CC320". As far as I know they never had any snappy names. The SS and CC grinds were some good ones, though.

Answer for post #13. If you compare a 1984 Crane catalog with much later Crane catalogs, many of the wide 112-114 LSA cams of 1984 are gone, replaced with cams with tighter 106-108 LSAs. This because Harvey Crane saw the light after 000s of cam tests done by D. Vizard. Ed Iskendarian saw the light decades earlier because most of his cams were on 108 LSA.

-
Back