Crane Cam

-
F-238/3200-2-14
238/248 @.050", .480/.500" Lift, 114 LSA Solid
[ame]http://www.cranecams.com/160-161.pdf[/ame]

Thanks! I appreciate the info. Trying to decide if I want to build this motor back to its old race roots.

Ok so the motor this was in was super inside when I tore it down. Was in a back-halved 70s Cuda. Pistons in my SB new project thread. .030 over with no need to re-bore. Polished crank. Honed cylinders. Repaired one cylinder head that had a porting injury into valve guide. As it was built with above cam it was apparently quite the motor. Not sure if I just want to rebuild it as it was or go different. Sold my project cars except my demon. Thoughts?

Ok so the motor this was in was super inside when I tore it down. Was in a back-halved 70s Cuda. Pistons in my SB new project thread. .030 over with no need to re-bore. Polished crank. Honed cylinders. Repaired one cylinder head that had a porting injury into valve guide. As it was built with above cam it was apparently quite the motor. Not sure if I just want to rebuild it as it was or go different. Sold my project cars except my demon. Thoughts?

My advice: You are over thinking this.. Patch /replacement of the head,find a good head porter.. J.M.O...

These are the Pistons in the motor. Rods checked out, pistons good. put on new rings. J heads with heavy porting. Need to get the machine shop to calculate volume before I pick it all up to assemble. This motor had two thick gaskets in place when I tore it down. Prior owner knew nothing about compression.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 624
Those slugs look like 12-1 slugs. Like the old TRW's.

They are TRW pistons. I wasn't sure about the compression with the stock heads. Apparently the car this motor was in raced in the northeast. Guy I got it from had the car at his place at one point when I first went there and this motor was in the corner of his garage. I passed on them both and only picked up the stuff I needed. Went back and got the motor later. Cuda was gone. Only thing I can tell you is that the B pillars on the car were wrinkled. He told me it was because the car pulled the front wheels hard. We'll see

Ok guys. Update and some better information. All components back from the machine shop polishes surfaces only. Sent the heads off for a repair as suggested with the shop saying the valves already had a 3 angle blessing. New bearings and rings. TRW 463-99 Pistons with PN 4007042. Head gaskets will have to be measured cometic. I wanted to move away from adjustable rockers to roller and from the mechanical cam above to a similar grind in hydraulic.
1. I can't find anyone to validate the piston's compression with a 360 J head as the piston is a forged relic of an elfin era. Furthermore...I am too cheap to spend any more money at the machine shop this month.
2. Accounting for the 8-10 degrees of LSA the guy at crane gave me cam #694561 with lifters #99278-16
3. Going to put it in an E-Z Go golf cart with 8 3/4 rear and 5:13 Gears...sea level
4. Thoughts??

Going to put it in an E-Z Go golf cart with 8 3/4 rear and 5:13 Gears...sea level

Might be underpowered in that golf cart!

I really did want to build this and put in a car to run. Wife wants to start her business and I am going to liquidate some things in lieu of going to the bank.

measure piston comp. distance. looks like a moparperf stamped number, on a trw l2322f 30 trw that had a 1.839" comp distance and a 10 cc .407 tall dome and 1/16 1/16 3/16 rings-giving around 12.0:1 with a 69cc head. use a fel pro hp gasket-cometic is too much $. if the old cam and lifters are not worn-use them

I can't find it under mopar SB....what motor and year?

So sorry, it is for a small block.

I called Crane Cams direct. It is a reground Comp Cam for MoPar. The specs were daily driver non performance emissions type cam. Who woulda thunk!

measure piston comp. distance. looks like a moparperf stamped number, on a trw l2322f 30 trw that had a 1.839" comp distance and a 10 cc .407 tall dome and 1/16 1/16 3/16 rings-giving around 12.0:1 with a 69cc head. use a fel pro hp gasket-cometic is too much $. if the old cam and lifters are not worn-use them

Cam did not look bad. I did not have the machine shop measure lobes, but my measure with calipers did not show any major wear. Unfortunately my son popped the lifters out before I could tell him to mark them. He is used to trashing them when we tear a motor down to rebuild. I honestly think I could have started this one and run it, but not safe on a motor that was just sitting in a garage.

Ok guys. Update and some better information. All components back from the machine shop polishes surfaces only. Sent the heads off for a repair as suggested with the shop saying the valves already had a 3 angle blessing. New bearings and rings. TRW 463-99 Pistons with PN 4007042. Head gaskets will have to be measured cometic. I wanted to move away from adjustable rockers to roller and from the mechanical cam above to a similar grind in hydraulic.
1. I can't find anyone to validate the piston's compression with a 360 J head as the piston is a forged relic of an elfin era. Furthermore...I am too cheap to spend any more money at the machine shop this month.
2. Accounting for the 8-10 degrees of LSA the guy at crane gave me cam #694561 with lifters #99278-16
3. Going to put it in an E-Z Go golf cart with 8 3/4 rear and 5:13 Gears...sea level
4. Thoughts??

Won't work. They will never let you on the golf course with that thing!

-
Back