Crank but no fire

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So since work is slow because of the beer virus I am getting some more time to work on my car. I have run into a crank but no start issue. I can crank it over by the key and not get it to fire but if I key it on and jump the starter relay posts it will fire right up. The car got a new wire harness and I had someone install it for me. Any ideas where to find the problem? Thank you!

Check for voltage at the coil in start/cranking. The Key start Full voltage should bypass the ballast. What year?

It’s a 65 Valiant, also running a MSD 6AL so no ballast resistor.
NO ****!!!

It is important to give out information so somebody can figure out what you are doing.

It is most likely you did not properly bypass the ballast, and are not getting voltage from the IGN2 "bypass" circuit. The IGN1 "run" GOES DEAD during cranking

Well review the hookup. I have only used MSD once long ago. Either your ignition switch is at fault of something is not wired correctly. ING 2 is for starting during crank.

The fact that it will start under certain condition shows that the ignition box coul spark plugs wires and all is good.

That you have to jump the starter relay shows there is a miswire somewhere or a bad ignition switch.

Do as others have said, check for voltage, at the coil while cranking and report back

The fact that it will start under certain condition shows that the ignition box coul spark plugs wires and all is good.

That you have to jump the starter relay shows there is a miswire somewhere or a bad ignition switch.

Do as others have said, check for voltage, at the coil while cranking and report back
0 voltage at the coil while cranking.

Have you downloaded your cars wiring diag?

With 0v while cranking would suggest a missing wire or faulty ignition switch.

Normally there is a wire from the ignition switch to the plus side of the blast resistor to bypass it during cranking.

Have you downloaded your cars wiring diag?

With 0v while cranking would suggest a missing wire or faulty ignition switch.

Normally there is a wire from the ignition switch to the plus side of the blast resistor to bypass it during cranking.
So there’s no ballast resistor because I’m running a msd system.

You still need the wire that bypasses the ballast resister even if you don't have one. Or at least jumper from ing1 to ing2

IIRC ing1 goes to 0v while cranking, while ing2 goes to 12v when cranking

-
Back