Crank hub

-

gilberttitan08

Mexican Hillbilly!!!
Reaction score
Hey guys, got an issue and I hope it's an easy fix. I got this slant 6 with a crank flange I.D. of 1.55" and my torque converter nose pilot hub is 1.88" can I hone to fit or am I hosed?

Hey guys, got an issue and I hope it's an easy fix. I got this slant 6 with a crank flange I.D. of 1.55" and my torque converter nose pilot hub is 1.88" can I hone to fit or am I hosed?
Well, this has been gone over a Bazillion times, but here it goes;
Yes, You can have the crank hub machined out to the larger dia. register, it doesn't see any real load stresses so it need not be "meaty" to do it's job.
Your other option is to purchase a hybrid Torque converter if it's a 904/998/999 based trans w/o lock-up. If it is a lock-up or 727 based trans, then
switch cranks or have Yours machined....................................

Hey Gilbert -
So I just dealt with this. I had to replace my Barracuda's 225 with a donor engine while rebuilding. Got a 1967 slant 170 that has the smaller pilot hole on the crank and couldn't take my 1968 torque converter. So I bought a hybrid that has the 1967 nose and the 1968 rear ("factory high stall"), that mates to a 904.
Anyway, how soon do you need the TC? I'm going to be building the 225 over the next few months and when it's done, will take out the 170, and will no longer need the hybrid TC.
If you need it now, I called Dacco at 1-800-443-2226 and they had it out to me in about a week for like $150 or so.

Hey Gilbert -
So I just dealt with this. I had to replace my Barracuda's 225 with a donor engine while rebuilding. Got a 1967 slant 170 that has the smaller pilot hole on the crank and couldn't take my 1968 torque converter. So I bought a hybrid that has the 1967 nose and the 1968 rear ("factory high stall"), that mates to a 904.
Anyway, how soon do you need the TC? I'm going to be building the 225 over the next few months and when it's done, will take out the 170, and will no longer need the hybrid TC.
If you need it now, I called Dacco at 1-800-443-2226 and they had it out to me in about a week for like $150 or so.
My TC is a for a slant 6 727. I may have to call Dacco, been hearing a lot about them in slant6.org.

You have an early engine and a later tranny. It is easier to go the other way, using a thin bushing than several here sell. One option I have read is to change both the torque converter and tranny input shaft (I haven't done so). If you still have the old transmission, consider it.

You have an early engine and a later tranny. It is easier to go the other way, using a thin bushing than several here sell. One option I have read is to change both the torque converter and tranny input shaft (I haven't done so). If you still have the old transmission, consider it.
The OP's vehicle is an '80's truck w/a 727, there is no changing anything to make it a small hub, period. Nor would it be desirable, converting a late model A998/999 the same,
too many differences in front pump, support bushing, drum/clutch assy., plus You'd be undoing 20 years of improvements....................why? Cheaper & easier to get the right
engine or crank w/the appropriate post '67 hub register. Crap, I mean people are looking to give the damn things away to anybody willing to swing by & pick them up out there
in CA, just look through the for sale listings here!! Plus, someone out there is looking for the reverse for their pre '68 A-body, sell/give/exchange Your '67 mill.

The OP's vehicle is an '80's truck w/a 727 ...
It would be nice if OP's would relate such details when asking a question. He didn't say whether the engine or the tranny was original to the vehicle. For sure get a later slant. A "correct" engine would be a ~1978+ w/ "peanut" heads and hydraulic lifters, though a ~1968+ would be a direct bolt-up (larger crank hole). I saw some military-surplus rebuilt slants ~1980 in wooden crates sell for ~$300 a few years ago on ebay. Many people found the slant under-powered in a truck, especially for towing. It might not be hard to swap in a V-8, since a factory option. A 5.2 or 5.9L w/ it's better tranny is fairly interchangeable and works better (MPFI, overdrive, ...). They are common at PicNPull.

-
Back