crank & piston ID

-

nixrsix

Reaction score
Aloha!
I'm trying to ID pistons and crank on a mystery 340 motor I bought. The pistons are flattop w/ 4 valve relief. It came with a lower blower intake manifold, so I'm guessing this engine was built for lower compression? I'm still learning, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo -N

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6598.jpg

IMG_6599.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

rods look stock with a nice milled balance pad.. pistons look stock too, maybe Badger if not stock? 4 valve reliefs usually mean its a low line piston.

I have a feeling previous owner built a stock lower end for a blower or possibly a stock motor with lower compression something.Ugh. I want no blower, just a well breathing na motor. It looks like pistons/rods need changed, I want forged. Do any of the crank stamps ID what it is?

Crank looks forged as you think. Those balance pads sure look different, almost like they are added on....???

Pistons look to be cast as said. The cross-hatching that can be seen in one pix under the crown is common on UEMP cast pistons, so these may be Slivolite 1267's which have 4 eyebrows, and which are kind of a medium low compression piston. They are not the same as the super low compression late production 340 pistons, and which sat .070-.080" down in the hole at TDC. Look to see if the number '1267' is cast in one of the skirts, surrounded by a circle of dots.

Crank is forged, rods are stock, someone was talented when it came to the balance pad weight matching, and the pistons are cast but look like replacements.

-
Back