Crank Sleeve for 4-Spd.

-

Zippie#7

Reaction score
I am putting together my 340 engine that will have a 4-spd. trans behind it and I keep hearing about this sleeve that is needed on the back of the crank that the trans shaft will fit into. The hole rotating assembly was already balanced and the engine is ready to assemble. Is this sleeve going to be a problem to incert and where do I get such a sleeve?.

Your looking for a clutch pilot bushing that is available at your local Mopar dealer or parts stores.
If you look at the back of the crank and there is a brass bushing in it, simply replace the bushing with a new one. Cost will be about $5 for the bushing and should be done every time you replace a clutch.
If there isn't a brass bushing in the crank, check to see if there is a .940 hole bore in the end of the crank. If there is a .940 bored hole, install a new bushing in the crank and you should be good to go. ( A bored hole in the crank without a bushing usually means it was used behind an automatic trans)
If there isn't a bore hole you can use a roller bearing or roller bushing that will fit in the inside diameter of the flexplate/flywheel mounting flange. Cost should be $10 to $15 for this bearing. A caution using this setup would be that you probably have to shorten the input shaft on the transmission. If you havn't shorten a input shaft before please get some professional advice or have a machine shop do this.
Since the bushing is on center of the crankshaft it will have little event on the balancing and you will not have rebalance the crank.

WOW guys, thanks a million, I feel alot better now. Again, Thanks.

I will clean the sleeve because it doesn't want to slide all off the way back. I'm not talking about the fuel pump eccentric, its a large thin washer like piece that goes on the crankshaft somewhere.

For the sleeve type, Napa caries an undersized one on the outside diameter if you need it. Put it in the freezer prior to installation to make it easier.

-
Back