Crankcase evac question

-

CopperheadDart

Reaction score
Hey yall, looking for opinions and insight. I'm building up a 340 for a tube chassis 87 Charger. There's a thread on here on this basket case that I'm slowly making progress on.
It'll be around 13:1, iron heads, running on E85.
Prior build had the simple crankcase evac to the collectors from the valve covers. The old check valves were shot, so I either need to order a new evac kit, or a vacuum pump. Is there a major advantage to running a vac pump, or is the old school exhaust evac fine for my old school build? Thanks for the advise.

I would recommend buying new check valves. If the tubes are welded into the collectors right this system will and does work.

Do you care to post a link to your’87 Charger project?

I've been using the check valves forever and they work well. My engine bay doesn't need any clutter in it and having to fab up a vacuum pump would probably frustrate me. LOL

I only have one side hooked up and I run a breather catch can on the drivers side

2FB09A2C-3F1B-42D9-AB41-19B36650A536.jpeg

I would recommend buying new check valves. If the tubes are welded into the collectors right this system will and does work.
Hey pitts racer , you ever blow thru the check valves to compare them ? Ive only messed with 3 ,but the one I have on my barracuda is the easiest opening of the 3 , was a fair amount of diff. between them !!

Hey pitts racer , you ever blow thru the check valves to compare them ? Ive only messed with 3 ,but the one I have on my barracuda is the easiest opening of the 3 , was a fair amount of diff. between them !!

No I haven’t. I just order them from Summit and throw them on. I’ve found with alcohol I had to step up my maintenance program and switch them out every few years.

-
Back