Crap-O-Meter gauges

-

RedFish

Reaction score
OK Guys I'm going on a rant here. It may help some. It may hurt others.
When buying used gauges ( refer to pics ) Please look closely at what you're buying.
One pic shows a rallye oil gauge that was wrecked. Evidence in a pointer that's bent like a banana and a chip of paint broken off.
Another pic shows the bezel frame that hit it.
Another pic shows where a previous owner distorted the needle stops in an effort to make it work.
All of this stems from operator error. Tapping on the lens doesn't help anything. Tap on it long enough and hard enough hurts everything. The lens and frame will break away from the pizz poor plastic anchors and wreck the gauges.
Final pic is case in point... The temperature gauge shown was in the same condition as the oil gauge. I can straighten the pointer and polish the screen then test and calibrate the gauge.
I CANNOT GET A SMOOTH NEEDLE TRAVEL TO SAVE MY *** !
Excuse my language, I've been fecking with this temp gauge for about 3 hours. It does work but nobody wants gauges that twitch/hang/jump. Next step is throw it in the garbage and give my customer a good gauge from my stock.
Here's the worst part of this story... The panel was sent here with a 150 mph speedo that is in the same sad condition. I dont know who he bought this junk from or what he paid for it but every penny sux in my opinion.
My closing statements then I'm back to the workbench.
PLEASE DONT BUY CRAP-O-METERS. I can't make a silk purse from a sows ear.
PLEASE DONT SELL CRAP-O-METERS. Me and everyone else here will be much better off if you'll throw this kind of garbage in the garbage.

Attachments

• crashed gauge.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 239
  • what crashed the gauge.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 234
  • fecked up needle stops.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 248
  • case in point.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 235
I can relate... I have a small box full of crap-o-meters that got damaged over the years for one reason or another.

Who does make good gauges?

Who knows these days. Stuart-Warner made these mopar gauges.
VDO made good gauges back in the day too.
Any gauge is a fragile instrument and should be treated as such.

-
Back