Crashed the Duster today

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Well kinda was riding around about 35mph and all the sudden passanger side front wheel locks up and slams me into the curb hard.Well I was able to drive it off road and looked at it did not see anything wrong.Drove about 15ft and it locks up again.I pull over and call a tow get it home and one of the caliper bolts has fallen out and when you hit the brakes the caliper moves and locks the wheel up.Well I got in another car and drove down the same road and found the bolt:blob:Then went and bought some red lock tight and redid both sides.Brakes work fine.No major damage curb rash on the rim but I had the old steal wheels on so not problem and the car pull to the left now so I need to go get it realined.

Ooooo sounds like a fun day. Glad you're ok and same with the car.

i had a 98 gtp that did the same thing. the brakes felt weird and then i heard the bolt fly out . i was able to pull it into a parking lot, find the bolt, go home get tools and come back and fix it without an issue. but still it was a pain in the *** haha

Good thing nothing was bent or broken. Had to show you story to my daughter as she was recently in Georgia when the same thing happened to him. Right front as well. He ended up using a zip-tie to hold it in place and used the engine/transmission to slow down until he got home.

I was going to type "happens more often that you might think". That's becoming evident quickly though. If caliper mounting bolts are torqued properly they shouldn't need locktite.

Oh no........right after your cam sound/ burnout video? I hope not.....

Your car sounds really good. Glad your ok.....

Good thing nothing was bent or broken. Had to show you story to my daughter as she was recently in Georgia when the same thing happened to him. Right front as well. He ended up using a zip-tie to hold it in place and used the engine/transmission to slow down until he got home.

So Is It A He Or She??:dontknow::dontknow:

I was going to type "happens more often that you might think". That's becoming evident quickly though. If caliper mounting bolts are torqued properly they shouldn't need locktite.

X2, If locktite gets hot it lets go does it not?

Darryl

When I read the title of your thread I got scared....glad you and the car are ok. A reminder to be careful....this time it was brake-related but also keep in mind these cars are light in the rear and can easily get away from you....

Glad to hear that there was no sheet metal damage!!

Did you torque the bolts with a proper torque wrench? That may help prevent it from happening again.

Some people do not pay attention to the proper torque specs. They are developed and published for a reason... They work. I always look up and torque to the factory service manual torque specs.

I wouldn't want this to happen again. It sucks.

I'm going to wager that your lower control arm is most likely bent.

And this does happen a lot. I did it the first time I ever did brakes (and never again, hopefully), and I've had the dealership do the same to my brothers' '01 Ram, which chewed the wheel up something fierce on the way back from a hunting trip.

A bump in the road of life enjoying our cars :D
I seen the thread and said OMG!!
I am glad you did not have a crazy driver riding your rear bumper :violent1:
That sure would have been bad....... Glad things are going to be fine :cheers:

Oh hell that aint a crash ! when you roll a fender up at least then its a crash . you hit a speed bump too hard thats it lol

Oh hell that aint a crash ! when you roll a fender up at least then its a crash . you hit a speed bump too hard thats it lol

Well I tend to differ Asa, he had it towed home and it did crash into the curb and bent his lower or upper control arm :D That is a crash to me :D
:D :toothy7:

I dout it bent the control arm ...... If he said that i must have missed it ... He had to have it towed home cuz the bolt fell out.

Glad to hear you're o.k.
Cars can be fixed. This could have been a serious accident.
You are going to check both sides and all of the bolts etc. while you are at it right?

But really tho im happy it didnt crash ..... I do random checks on my cars that i drive . I make it random so the car dont know when its comeing and fix its self lol . really tho One time every 2 months i will go though my dd and check brakes and other ware parts . that may help from some thing like this happen agin.

I'm just glad you weren't going 60 or more when it happened and no one was hurt. Good catch at the right time. No harm no foul.

Well kinda was riding around about 35mph and all the sudden passanger side front wheel locks up and slams me into the curb hard.Well I was able to drive it off road and looked at it did not see anything wrong.Drove about 15ft and it locks up again.I pull over and call a tow get it home and one of the caliper bolts has fallen out and when you hit the brakes the caliper moves and locks the wheel up.Well I got in another car and drove down the same road and found the bolt:blob:Then went and bought some red lock tight and redid both sides.Brakes work fine.No major damage curb rash on the rim but I had the old steal wheels on so not problem and the car pull to the left now so I need to go get it realined.

your going to be sorry when you do the brakes... red loctite causes bolts to snap off before they will come loose, blue is best

-
Back