crazy gauges

-

Dart360Custom

Reaction score
ok heres a run down.

coolant gauge - works fine

fuel gauge - works fine till it gets to 1/2 tank them bottoms out and ocasionally works when below 1/2 tank.

speedo works fine

amp gauge - worked fine till i had the intake off, now shows discharge all the time. (alternator is good and charging the system)

oil light - not hooked up but comes on every so often.

any ideas appreciated.

I just had the same problem, mine turned out that the ground cable to the battery had disconnected itself in the leaded fitting for the battery post, changed to a new cable and all the problems went away......

Everything works off a ground. (except the speedo of course) Make sure you have plenty of grounds, thats something you can never have enough of.

For instance. My battery is in my trunk...

I have a 1 gauge cable directly bolted to the frame.
2 gauge cable from the terminal to the body.
10 gauge from the battery to another part on the body
I run a solid motor mount on the drivers side that doubles as a frame to motor ground
I run a 1" thick braided ground strap that ties the motor to the body

Needless to say, I have no grounding issues in my car :D...Check your groundS

fuel gauge- sending unit it tank needs replacing

oil light- the wire for it is probably touching ground ocasionally turning the light on

amp gauge - id check all the conections and wires that run down the side of the intake, you must have disturbed something or something is connected wrong...(amp gauge will show discharge if leads are reversed)

those are just regular mopar gauge issues
in order to fix them, grounds have to be checked. check to make sure you have good grounds at:

batt to frame,
batt to block,
block to frame..

like mike said you can never have enough

your oil press gauge is prolli grounding out when you turn
your sender has prolli started on its way out
Your amp gauge is a current gauge, showing you the flow of amps, have you added anything to your car or your system that would have added an aditional draw on the alt.? how do you know that its charging fully?

Its of my knowledge that all mopars run a little under the middle line. add something like lights and it goes under a little more.. step on the gas and it will go back up to normal. a guage doesnt go faulty, its just an in line gauge that has nothing to break or lead to wrong readings.
i suggest you disconnect the AMP gauge and install a Volt gauge

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

ever since i was recommended this i have seen great improvement in my electrical. ( i run a large stereo system )
or just check that the connections on the back of the amp gauge are nice and tight.

Sorry for the long winded suggestion, but its better to be safe then sorry.

:coffee2:
Cerwin

Dont forget to check the engine harness / body harness connector for a good connection on the output wire. I've run across a few melted ones before.

Cerwin said:
those are just regular mopar gauge issues
in order to fix them, grounds have to be checked. check to make sure you have good grounds at:

batt to frame,
batt to block,
block to frame..

like mike said you can never have enough

your oil press gauge is prolli grounding out when you turn
your sender has prolli started on its way out
Your amp gauge is a current gauge, showing you the flow of amps, have you added anything to your car or your system that would have added an aditional draw on the alt.? how do you know that its charging fully?

Its of my knowledge that all mopars run a little under the middle line. add something like lights and it goes under a little more.. step on the gas and it will go back up to normal. a guage doesnt go faulty, its just an in line gauge that has nothing to break or lead to wrong readings.
i suggest you disconnect the AMP gauge and install a Volt gauge

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

ever since i was recommended this i have seen great improvement in my electrical. ( i run a large stereo system )
or just check that the connections on the back of the amp gauge are nice and tight.

Sorry for the long winded suggestion, but its better to be safe then sorry.

:coffee2:
Cerwin

I will try adding a few ground straps,

The oil pressure gauage has never been hooked up (since ive had it) i have an autometer gauge set in the car, anyone know the wire color so i can search for it?

The charging issue was checked with a voltmeter and a charge tester. 14v or so at 2,000 rpm. Tha gauge usually ran right at the line or above at all times.

Fuel gauge, I need to pull the sender just didnt know if it could be related to the other issues.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sanguine said:
fuel gauge- sending unit it tank needs replacing

oil light- the wire for it is probably touching ground ocasionally turning the light on

amp gauge - id check all the conections and wires that run down the side of the intake, you must have disturbed something or something is connected wrong...(amp gauge will show discharge if leads are reversed)

Do you know if the sending unit is avalible new?

-
Back