Crazy request...

-

gsoco

gsoco
Reaction score
170 slant six with oil dipstick tube issue...does anyone know the length from the top of the tube to the oil pan / block joint? I know, I know...don't even ask!! LOL:realcrazy::rofl:
oiltube distance.jpg

Just a thought....
If you do an oil change, add the amount of oil the FSM calls for, (make sure you use the with "oil filter change" amount). Run the engine for a few minutes to circulate the new oil, then put the dipstick in and see where it lines up and adjust from there.

What is the issue? They are very short, but I'm not sure how many variants, if any, there are.A lot more variants w/the 225, many different bodies/applications, but the 170 pretty much only A-bodies, @slantsixdan ......with Dan's parts catalogs the numbers would've called 'em out.
Dana's suggestion is the best if You're not sure if You even have the correct stick for the OE tube.....

There have been many sticks and many tubes over the years. There's a TSB somewhere in my collection giving measurements of some of them, but (1) I can't find it and (2) who knows what's been swapped in the last six decades. Dana's idea is the right one: Drain the oil, change the filter, put four quarts of oil in, run the engine a few minutes to fill the filter, shut it down and let the car sit on a flat, level surface for a couple of hours, check the oil, and make a punch/drill/scribe mark (as you prefer) at the oil level on the stick. That's your "ADD" line. Now add one more quart of oil and let it drain down into the pan for 20 minutes or so, check the oil, and make a mark at the oil level. That's your "FULL" line.

Just a thought....
If you do an oil change, add the amount of oil the FSM calls for, (make sure you use the with "oil filter change" amount). Run the engine for a few minutes to circulate the new oil, then put the dipstick in and see where it lines up and adjust from there.
Thanks...good thought.

There have been many sticks and many tubes over the years. There's a TSB somewhere in my collection giving measurements of some of them, but (1) I can't find it and (2) who knows what's been swapped in the last six decades. Dana's idea is the right one: Drain the oil, change the filter, put four quarts of oil in, run the engine a few minutes to fill the filter, shut it down and let the car sit on a flat, level surface for a couple of hours, check the oil, and make a punch/drill/scribe mark (as you prefer) at the oil level on the stick. That's your "ADD" line. Now add one more quart of oil and let it drain down into the pan for 20 minutes or so, check the oil, and make a mark at the oil level. That's your "FULL" line.
Got it. Thanks Dan

What is the issue? They are very short, but I'm not sure how many variants, if any, there are.A lot more variants w/the 225, many different bodies/applications, but the 170 pretty much only A-bodies, @slantsixdan ......with Dan's parts catalogs the numbers would've called 'em out.
Dana's suggestion is the best if You're not sure if You even have the correct stick for the OE tube.....
:thumbsup:

Hey Dan did you see my post about the valve cover? I sent a picture. Pretty sure it's from the 60-63 170s...so when you have the right PCV sorted, PM me and I'll send the $$. Thanks as always for your help!
Jason

How do you want it measured? In a straight line or around the bends?

So 5 qts dry for a slant? Book it. Just went through this on a 2014 62TE transmission thay has no dipstick but has a filler tube with a 'for dealer use only" cap...Pshhh, F that.

The end of the dipstick dips into the sump so if you pull the dipstick out and held it up to about where the sump starts and look and see where it ends up on that tube ...it might give you a real good idea if you have the wrong tube.. As for different tubes, probably for truck oil pans or something like that where the sump is further back or forword making the dip stick longer or shorter...etc..

Talk to text jacked my reply real good.

Last edited:
The end of the dipstick dips into the sump she pulled the dipstick out and held it up to her about the sump starts and look and see where it ends up on that tube might give you a real good idea if you have the wrong tube.. As for different tubes probably for truck oil pans or something like that where the sump is further back or for word

-
Back