Crimping Tool Suggestions

-

jerkyboy

Reaction score
I have been using the attached crimping tool for years and would like to replace it with something that works a little easier and gives nice consistent crimps each time. Any suggestions......if you could provide a place to buy and price too would be greatly appreciated8).

IMG_1939.jpg

If you want consistent crimps, Buy a ratchet style crimper. They are a lot more expensive but worth it if you want factory looking crimps. Toolman

I have the Klein crimper with the red handle shown above. Works MUCH better than the one in your pic and less than $20 at the box stores.

I have the same one as you have pictured, they are pretty much a craft show special. Im looking into a better one as well.

I also have the orange handle crimper for general use and the black handle pair mounted on a homemade fixture for repetive work bench use. One hand operation, adjustable stop and spring return.

I have the Klein red handle set, I use it for auto style electrical connectors and it works well on 1/16 and 1/8" cable ferulles...I've been using mine for about 8 years with no issues.

These are hard to beat. I've been using the same pair for quite a few years now. http://www.channellock.com/Category.aspx?zcid=125

I've got a universal snapring plier made by Channellock. Was a great tool for a long time. Simply worn out today. The lifetime guarentee is worthless. I would forget the guarentee part and buy a new one if I could find it.
Nevermind , I found it under a different model number.

Professional crimping tools are very specific to the terminal being crimped. I buy Paladin Tools crimper for the basic insulated terminals you likely use around the house and on your car.

The Paladin 1308 has jaws that handle the typical red, blue and yellow insulted terminals you would get at the Hardware or Automotive store. NOTE: you can purchase other jaws for coax cable, uninsulated terminals, etc. that will fit the 1300 series handle

http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_tool.php?id=406&parent_id=182

You can get these from Amazon for about $50. They are also available from most of the elctronic suppliers such as DigiKey, Graybar, Stanley Supply, Teni-Tool for about $60.

As always, thanks for all the input. I plan on using these crimpers predominantly for automobile insulated terminals (red, yellow, blue). I'll check my local Lowes this weekend and see what they have in stock.

i try to just solder everything but sometimes i crimp stuff, i use the channel lock crimper.

I don't crimp anything as far as wiring... solder and heat shrink is all I use. Now for spark plug wires I use a Summit Racing brand spark plug wire crimps. I have used the above crimps to make up spark plug wires but to have the right tool makes a world of difference.

MSD has crimpers with replaceable jaws that will crimp "standard" terminals and other types including Weatherpack and Deutsch terminals if you want to really trick out a car with electronics. They are available from Summit.

I don't crimp anything as far as wiring... solder and heat shrink is all I use. Now for spark plug wires I use a Summit Racing brand spark plug wire crimps. I have used the above crimps to make up spark plug wires but to have the right tool makes a world of difference.

A properly done crimp connection is actually better than a soldered connection (look how well all the crimped connections on your car have stood up after 40 or more years, soldered ones won't have). When you solder stranded wire it becomes for practical purposes a single conductor that is subject to fatigue and fracturing. Crimp terminals include a strand relief feature in them where the insulation is supported. If you are going to solder connections it is imperative that you add a strain relief and a layer of heat shrink doesn't cut it, maybe 4 or 5 layers will work.

I am an engineer in the aero space and defense industry and most all wire terminals to connectors are crimped (even space and ordinace items). Anything that is soldered is also potted in epoxy to prevent facturing at the solder connection. Even wires terminating onto circuit boards are routed through a support hole then into the solder connection. The wire is then covered with an eposxy or RTV material to add additional support.

-
Back