Critique this 440!

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score

I have a friend contemplating buying this engine, I'm a smallblock guy. Help us out with your insights, please!

Ad
1967 Mopar 440 bored .040. Was rebuilt around 5 years ago for my 71 charger but I sold the car before the motor made it into it and has been on the engine stand every since. I do not know all the specs on the motor but I do know it was bored .040 over, forged Pistons to replace cast, mopar performance purple shaft cam (not sure of duration and lift), new lifters and push rods, aluminum intake, aluminum water pump, double roller timing chain, crank ground and rods, original heads rebuilt, fuel pump, oil pump, air Intake, and ceramic headers. Comes with everything pictured and as is. I might include the engine stand and engine hoist. Cash only. Buyer must pick up.

I do not know all the specs on the motor

Hmmm... if he had it rebuilt by a shop, or did it himself, it seems to me he would have the specs written down, or have a printout from the shop that did the work.

It could just be a bad play on words too I suppose.

Been sitting for a while without oil from the looks of it (rusty around oil filter adapter), and the cam probably still needs to be broken in. Wonder what the bores look like as well if the exhaust ports have been open for a while, moisture probably got in.

Hmmm... if he had it rebuilt by a shop, or did it himself, it seems to me he would have the specs written down, or have a printout from the shop that did the work.

(My first thought also...why?)

It could just be a bad play on words too I suppose.

.040 over...again, why?

The engine looks good but without
Someone knowing the build specs it could be a track only or a good street engine.but to be honest it's a pig in a poke without some knowledge of what has been installed.

The engine looks good but without
Someone knowing the build specs it could be a track only or a good street engine.but to be honest it's a pig in a poke without some knowledge of what has been installed.

Good point. That and the carb on top of the engine looks a bit to short. LOL!

Depends on what he's asking for it! If it's a good price, bring cash and see if he'll let you pull the intake and a head! Then you can verify pistons, and the valve job, and also condition of cylinders. It sounds like he's getting out of it. Might be a score. This is what I would do!

Depends on what he's asking for it! If it's a good price, bring cash and see if he'll let you pull the intake and a head! Then you can verify pistons, and the valve job, and also condition of cylinders. It sounds like he's getting out of it. Might be a score. This is what I would do!

$2600

That is almost word for word what I told him. Pull intake and at least one head, if not both.

damn 2600 bucks with out hearing it run or knowing any thing about it? hell no

I picked up a 440 builder for $100 and completely rebuilt it myself for around 1,000 bucks and I know every square inch of it . I even ran it on a stand before dropping it in the car

Attachments

• rb0.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 262
  • rb35.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 242
I would not pay $2600 for an engine you don't know anything about.
( It's my opinion but i thinks its a bad deal.)

Hmm. $2600 bones. Pass. Offer $500 because it is there, $550 for the stand with it. Take it to a machine shop and have them go through and check tolerances etc. if it is all good, score. If not you are not so far out on getting it super nice, carb to pan for the other 2k you were going to spend. At the end you will know what it is you have.

Pass

Although.......with the aluminum heads, it might be worth a look.

For 2600 bucks i would pass on it.
Too much unknown and has been sitting too long.
it would have to be torn down and everything verified to be sure before i tried to fire it up.
BTW, it doesn't look like it has aluminum heads on it to me.......
But what the hell do i know?

I would not pay $2600 for an engine you don't know anything about.
( It's my opinion but i thinks its a bad deal.)

x2 - I ate a 340 that ended up having a bad block and bad heads - paid too much for the proverbial 'pig in a poke' based on the story of it having been built by so and so, etc.

Without paperwork on what all was done, you really need to get inside it or you're spinning a roulette wheel with a $2600 bet.

Thanks for all the advice, the friend is actually my Dad. Would hate to see him get suckered on his first Mopar project. I finally got him into our camp and want him to have a good experience rebuilding my late Uncle's 67 GTX'S...Two of them.

The 67 440's also had the closed chamber heads. Some people like them some don't. Make sure you know what heads he used....

I think there are better deals on 440's out there. I would prefer to buy a core and build it myself, so I know what's in it and that it's done right. For that $$$ and no guarantee, you can get taken.....

-
Back