Critique this 440!

-
Pass.
You are bassicly buying a core. Pay core price and explan why. Here is what looks odd to me. The engine is 5 years old the stand looks the same but the engine hoist looks brand new, and they are all three for sale? Who doesnt present the parts better? Really your going to leave the wd 40 can in the picture? Why is thr water pump and carb not on the engine? breather stuck in the distributor hole? Half the hardware to the valve covers are those long t-bolt things? Who lays metal or anything on ceramic coated headers? If this is how the engine is preaented for sale what do you think the inside looks like?

Not a bad deal ,grind him down to $2000 , pull the intake off look around in the oil gallery ,role it over and pull the pan off and have a snoop . Crank it over and make sure it spins . Looks like the parts were hot tanked and clean just the spray paint is bad . From the pan area you can see the pistons and if there is a cross hatch in the cylinder bores .

(The hardware on valve covers ,those long t-bolt things?) Thats how people used to bolt down the valve covers 100 years ago LOL.

Knuckle, first, the price is high, I agree with 1700 - 2000 for everything with a few considerations: Your dads 67 GTX, if this is a correct motor, then the heads will be 915's, check the casting numbers, these are a one year only and came factory on the 67 GTX's, not hard to find but are spendy if you are going for a restoration.

The block, if it is a 67 Block will not have the ribs down the side, last/first year of the 440 with no ribs, again PITA to find for a resto.

The water pump is the wrong year, but on the bright side, if you have all these parts, they will fit in to one of the 67's without issue. Depends on what you are looking for. And the headers will be a good purchase with all for that price (1700-2000)

Also - T-Quad, not original for a 67, but will work. I believe the 67 had a AVS

$999 is the most I would pay for the unknown pile of parts.

And that's if the motor isn't seized up and turns freely.

And has a forged crankshaft

-
Back