Cross-Country Road Trip in a '68 Barracuda

-
Remember the days of our youth when we didn’t think very much? Just threw the stuff in the car and left....

One thing to check is the rubber brake line from the chassis to the differential. Make sure it is not close to the tailpipe especially if you have a single pot master cylinder. Melt that hose and you have no brakes.

looks like the car is at normal ride height with his added air shocks. And since it’s a 1968, it’s dual master (and pics above)

Remember the days of our youth when we didn’t think very much? Just threw the stuff in the car and left....

AHH yes, remember the days of our youth, broken down on the side of the road trying to replace the failed (pick one) water pump, fuel pump, alternator, ignition, etc, etc, etc, trying to hitch to closest parts store in the rain at night???:lol: Actually your are right, those were the days and at least we could fix the car when it crapped out...

Not sure if you left or not but...I'm near Peoria Illinois if you need anything..

Sure do, rear tires down to the cord and no spare. and a fuel gauge that didn't work. and no money. lol
4.56 gears and exhaust dumped at the rear axle.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! We're currently on the road, we just left Pendleton, WA. Car is doing great so far (fingers crossed) and so is the copilot! Keeping track of gas mileage with a spreadsheet to see just how much gas we'll be using, and how much the terrain and tire pressures affect our average MPG. I'll post pictures later tonight!

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! We're currently on the road, we just left Pendleton, WA. Car is doing great so far (fingers crossed) and so is the copilot! Keeping track of gas mileage with a spreadsheet to see just how much gas we'll be using, and how much the terrain and tire pressures affect our average MPG. I'll post pictures later tonight!

great way to predict gas stops!

nowadays you can shop gas stations and prices while driving with a smart phone. Especially with a co-pilot.

.... 1994 wasn’t like that. I got caught between gas stations and paid $40 for a 5 gal Jerry-Can full of gas from a Desert Nomad. IIRC, gas was like $1.50/gal at the time. :BangHead::BangHead:

Last edited:
Well, the car just boiled over for the first time just outside Craters of the Moon National Park... it's only about 73 degrees out and we were going up a mild incline, so we're gonna have to reevaluate the plan here. The thermostat is opening and the water pump is moving liquid, so I'm thinking I'm going to stop at a parts store in Idaho Falls and pull the thermostat to see if that helps.

For reference, it's an almost stock 360 with the factory 22" light-duty V8 radiator, old flex-a-lite fan, no fan shroud, and no radiator support seal.

I may also try to rig up a radiator sprayer system using the washer fluid reservoir. Any other ideas that might help?

...and no, I don't have a functional coolant gauge...

If I were you I'd turn around before all the weak links show their ugly heads.

General rule is if it gets hot in town or idling its the fan, if it gets hot on the highway its the radiator. Go to a car wash and power wash the radiator real good, its amazing what gets stuck between the cores. Pulling the thermostat may help for a short distance but, not a long haul like your doing. Without the thermostat the coolant never stops moving so it never sits in the radiator to cool down. The longer it runs with no thermostat the hotter the water gets and, it eventually over heats. I would wash out radiator and get the coolest thermostat you can, maybe drill a couple 1/16 holes in the outer ring of it and hope for the best.That flexolite fan aint helping either.

Water wetter additive helps keep it a little cooler also. It can be bought or something like it at all auto parts stores.

Craters of the Moon National Park elevation:

5900 feet

Anchorage Alaska elevation (his hometown):

102 feet

the tune of the engine at your home in Anchorage maybe is making things wonky at mile high

I had something similar happen leaving Albuquerque NM in my old ‘67 Nova. The cheap rebuilt distributor had the wrong points installed.

wonder if it’s an ignition issue. The elevation just enhanced my issue. Is it points ignition? Have a timing light?

Anyways...

From now on out you need 4 gallons of backup water.

consider pulling spark plug to find one or two that look different

Last edited:
Craters of the Moon National Park elevation:

5900 feet

Anchorage Alaska elevation (his hometown):

102 feet

the tune of the engine at your home in Anchorage maybe is making things wonky at mile high
I was also thinking that it may be way out of tune due to elevation and timing related.

As you go up in elevation the engine will be running leaner, thus run hotter.
It'll run richer, less air, same amount of fuel.
A buddy ruined a Jeep 401 years ago because it was jetted for mile high (Denver, his home) and he drove it to the east coast, pinging (lean) away.

Roll that sucker down hill. ;)

when I drove from LA to Iowa there were two routes with similar distance. One through Denver that was cooler but had elevation. The other was through Oklahoma that was hotter but was flatter.

The less confident I was in car, I would take southern route.

Barracuda’s have a analog temp gauge? Is it not working ?

I lived in Laramie Wyoming for a while and kind of remember putting a bunch of timing in everything to make it run better.

Wow, I didn't even think to check elevation. I had no idea we were at almost 6000 feet! I do have the original temp gauge but it's inop right now. I'm gonna put a skosh of timing in it so see if that will help, and then see if I can get ahold of some jets for my holley 650. I also stopped at a car wash and sprayed the radiator out from both sides, though it wasn't too gummed up. Hopefully all of that will help! Thanks everyone!

Wow, I didn't even think to check elevation. I had no idea we were at almost 6000 feet! I do have the original temp gauge but it's inop right now. I'm gonna put a skosh of timing in it so see if that will help, and then see if I can get ahold of some jets for my holley 650. I also stopped at a car wash and sprayed the radiator out from both sides, though it wasn't too gummed up. Hopefully all of that will help! Thanks everyone!

It really shouldn’t be that bad to cause a boil over.

When I went from LA to Denver (mile high), I didn’t have issues with my Barracuda. It might not have ran as good. Or was done on some power. But it didn’t overheat.

you gotta have a functioning temp gauge going across country. You gotta know what’s going on before things get messed up too much.

Last edited:
I would think lean would make it over heat. It's rich.

Anyone know how many jets to go to lean it for altitude?

Made it to the hotel in Lehi! Pulled the thermostat out in Blackfoot and took it easy the rest of the way. Gonna try to get up early tomorrow and beat the heat to Grand junction, where I'll hopefully be able to jerry rig the universal coolant temp gauge I have. Thanks for the help again everyone!

Made it to the hotel in Lehi! Pulled the thermostat out in Blackfoot and took it easy the rest of the way. Gonna try to get up early tomorrow and beat the heat to Grand junction, where I'll hopefully be able to jerry rig the universal coolant temp gauge I have. Thanks for the help again everyone!

I wouldnt run a flex fan without a shroud , put a shroud on it .

Why are you going through Lehi UT and Grand Junction CO ?

Wouldn’t that lead you to another high altitude situation in Denver?

17916885-3529-4DDB-9255-3473C2A4CABF.jpeg

-
Back