Cross-Country Road Trip in a '68 Barracuda

-
Well, I have an unfortunate update on the road trip. We tried to make it to Denver last night, and as soon as we got over Grand Mesa the rear axle started making too much noise for my liking. It had been getting slowly louder throughout the trip but last night it got bad. A low rumbling/growling that gets higher in pitch with vehicle speed and goes away when I turn left or right, plus a driver's side backing plate that is dripping gear oil makes me believe the axle bearings are shot. It may be fine but I'm not driving a rear end that could potentially lock on me going down a 7% grade at 60 MPH. I'm still working on a plan but it sounds like for now I am going to have to leave the car at my grandparent's in Eckert, fly back to Indy, and then fly back to retrieve it either with an axle bearing kit and radiator, or just have it shipped.

autoxcuda and chryslerfat are right. If you can’t find a member or anyone else to help fix it, renting a Uhaul pickup with a car hauler trailer one way would probably be less expensive than 2 plane trips.

We may even have someone here that could help.
autoxcuda and chryslerfat are right. If you can’t find a member or anyone else to help fix it, renting a Uhaul pickup with a car hauler trailer one way would probably be less expensive than 2 plane trips.
and that would save un loading and storing the Barracuda. But perhaps the best fix would be to address the rear wheel bearings, as that will need to be done eventually anyway. Perhaps a FABO member that knows the area where you are could point you towards a reliable repair shop. It may take a new post here on FABO to bring in someone not already following this story.

I was thinking same thing, start a "Help in Ekhart" thread in Mopar general discussion forum. Make some new friends and get the cuda running again!.
Good luck!
and that would save un loading and storing the Barracuda. But perhaps the best fix would be to address the rear wheel bearings, as that will need to be done eventually anyway. Perhaps a FABO member that knows the area where you are could point you towards a reliable repair shop. It may take a new post here on FABO to bring in someone not already following this story.

Yeah you could stay over & get help fixing it or take it to a shop, even if it takes an extra day or 3. I bet Eckert is pretty nice this time of year.

Yeah you could stay over & get help fixing it or take it to a shop, even if it takes an extra day or 3. I bet Eckert is pretty nice this time of year.
You might be better off to spend a day or two and get the differential fixed, might be a lot cheaper than having the car shipped and or buying plane tickets. Think of it as just part of the adventure of owning a 50+ year old car.

Hi everyone, I apologize for the delayed update, it's been a strange couple days. I tried looking for axle bearings but no one in Eckert has them, and the main problem is that I've run out of time for this trip. I have to be at work on Monday, but if I didn't then I certainly would have stayed in Eckert to fix the car or find another solution. I explored the U-haul option but for some reason their prices are insane right now. They wanted $2000 for a truck and trailer to Indy, which is just ridiculous. At that point I'd just buy a clapped out 3/4 ton dodge and trailer and then go from there, but that's not in my budget.

Thankfully, there is a very reputable shop just down the street from my Grandparents called Surface Creek Auto. The head mechanic and owner there is a very close friend of my family and is experienced in working on older, classic cars. I realize that paying someone to fix the car and then flying back to retrieve it is just kicking the can down the road and will ultimately cost me more money, but again, I'm out of time.

I really do appreciate all of the help and support thus far -- everyone here has been helpful and positive, and at the end of the day the car is safe and so am I. I definitely did not want to seize an axle bearing going over Vail pass! And, all this just means that there's a part two to come. Could be a lot worse!

Howdy everyone! It's been a while, but here's part 2! The car sat in Eckert for a couple months and unfortunately the shop I dropped it off at never got the chance to look at it, they've been VERY busy. However, my mom is going to be moving to Michigan in the near future and wanted to take some of her non-essential stuff to the house there, so she rented a 15-foot Uhaul van and a car trailer! Since she's moving this way, she decided it was worth it to make a detour to Indy with my car. I flew out to make the trip with her and we had a blast! It was a three day trip that took us through some very pretty terrain and strange weather. Lots of fun, and finally happy to have my car here!

20210814_085512.jpg

20210814_090651.jpg

20210814_174445.jpg

20210814_165150.jpg

20210814_192705.jpg

And now she's finally here! It feel so great to have it with me in Indy, and to have a second car for when one of them inevitably breaks... :rolleyes:

20210816_155559.jpg

Oh yeah, and it barely fits in the garage too. Score!
20210816_205620.jpg

Howdy everyone! It's been a while, but here's part 2! The car sat in Eckert for a couple months and unfortunately the shop I dropped it off at never got the chance to look at it, they've been VERY busy. However, my mom is going to be moving to Michigan in the near future and wanted to take some of her non-essential stuff to the house there, so she rented a 15-foot Uhaul van and a car trailer! Since she's moving this way, she decided it was worth it to make a detour to Indy with my car. I flew out to make the trip with her and we had a blast! It was a three day trip that took us through some very pretty terrain and strange weather. Lots of fun, and finally happy to have my car here!

View attachment 1715784589

View attachment 1715784588

View attachment 1715784587

View attachment 1715784591

View attachment 1715784590

And now she's finally here! It feel so great to have it with me in Indy, and to have a second car for when one of them inevitably breaks... :rolleyes:

View attachment 1715784586

View attachment 1715784585
Great that you got to spend some time with your mom and got your car home, Bonus!!!
Thanks for the update

View attachment 1715784589

View attachment 1715784588

View attachment 1715784587

View attachment 1715784591

View attachment 1715784590

View attachment 1715784586

View attachment 1715784585
Welcome to Indy, perhaps we can get together at some point in time. Would be great having another 68 Barracuda fan local.

-
Back