Crossmember question

-

solracmopar

Reaction score
To anyone reading who might be able to help. I'm using an engine + 904 tranny out of a 72 Valiant and installing into a 73 Swinger. Just about everything fits but the rear crossmember that hold up the tranny. Seems like there's about an inch difference. Does anyone know if they changed out the crossmember between those years?

Many thanks,
Carlos

The motor mounts could be on wrong, they bolt behind the lugs on the block on a smallblock. The trans mount did change in 73 but the bolt pattern didn't change.

If you are using 73+ spool mounts you are gong to need the spool trans mount too. Cant mix them.

Thanks for responding. The 73 Swinger was originally a /6 car. When I bought it there was no engine/trans or driveshaft installed. So far I installed the entire K member, 318 and tranny from the 72 Valiant. Other than this trans mount issue I had minor threat with the pitman arm fitting. I'm also wondering if the drive shaft will work ok? Not really sure what the wheel base is..

From what I'm gathering I'll need to see where I can find a spool mount to make the 318/904 fit the 73?

Thanks again

If you are using the 72 K it should have the early buiscut style motor mounts and you will need to find a 72 or earleyer buiscut style trans mount.

What type of mounts does the K fram you are using have? You will need the same kind on the trans X member.

Any trans mount/crossmember combo will work provided you use ALL the parts that go with it. Engine mount style makes no difference

If you have a biscuit trans mount, you need the biscuit crossmember

Spool style mount needs a spool style crossmember

Transcrossmember002.jpg

Transcrossmember001.jpg

Biscuit style is the black crossmember.

When you say buiscut do you mean how it looks like a little sandwhich? If so thats what the new tranny mount looks like as well. So in essence all 3 look the same.

I'm wondering if spool style will give me that inch advantage that I need..

Do you have the crossmember installed backwards? Trans mount installed with correct orientation?

IIRC the hole for the trans mount goes towards the front.

Well guys, I hate to admit it but I had the engine mounts in wrong. They were on the opposite sides of where they needed to be.

Does anyone know an easy way of posting pics on these here forums?

Thanks!!!

-
Back