crossmember question.

-

the_fatman

Reaction score
So I have a 72 340 that I wanna put in my 75 /6 I was looking at crossmembers online and I can find a lot more 70-73 crossmembers and only one 75 v8 crossmember. My question is can I use the 70-73 member on my 75?

Yes. '67-'76 cross-members will interchange. On a related issue, the '67-'72 anti-roll bar will not interchange with the '73-'76 bar. So if you use a '70 K-frame, you'll need to use a '67-'72 anti-roll bar.

The '73 V-8 crossmember is the same as the '75. Rumors that the 73 and later used the same crossmembers for V-8 and /6 are false. There was a change made to the pittman arm in '73, so keep the steering box and linkage together.

Yes. '67-'76 cross-members will interchange. On a related issue, the '67-'72 anti-roll bar will not interchange with the '73-'76 bar. So if you use a '70 K-frame, you'll need to use a '67-'72 anti-roll bar.

The '73 V-8 crossmember is the same as the '75. Rumors that the 73 and later used the same crossmembers for V-8 and /6 are false. There was a change made to the pittman arm in '73, so keep the steering box and linkage together.

or you'll get a face like "2 darts" pic...

That is very helpful...... and releiving I think I am going to start putting things in motion to get the swap done for my car... now I'm excited...

So are we talking about K members and suspension or trans cross members ?
If we're talking about K members most of what is posted above is correct except you can poke a 73 up sway bar through a pre 73 K once you cut the holes for it to thread through.

I read somewhere that the /6 crossmember can be easily modified to fit a v8 by redrilling the drivers side mount..... what would you guys reccomend. modding the /6 member or invest around $300 in a v8 member out of a yard????????????

I picked up a mopar mag this week and seen an add for engine swaps company has anyone used there mounts before? they have a set for my 75 (73+ mount) /6 to sbm for $159 which is about 50+ dollars cheaper than year one..... just feeling the waters before I decide what way I wanna go..

thanks to all for your help in advance

A73LA6 (S6 to 340/360) part number on above mentioned site(http://www.engine-swaps.com)

Schumacher. Been around a long time and has been talked about extensively on this site and many others. And, likely the same part that Year One carries (Year One is only a retailer, they don't make stuff).

Now, with that said, I've never used their mounts, but the reputation is good. My preference is using factory parts, but in this case Schumacher is probably easier. I've always done big block swaps in 67 A-bodies using 73-76 small block k-members modified like Chrysler did for the old Direct Connection piece.

-
Back