CRTC to mandate pick and pay TV service..

-

Inertia

Reaction score
Media is reporting that the Canadian Radio and Telecommunications Commission is going to mandate pick and pay vs bundles of channels..

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission is set to unveil new rules governing how cable and satellite service providers package and sell access to channels.

The decision is the latest result from the CRTC's Let's Talk TV hearings held in the fall.

The Harper government has been pushing the regulator to allow for a so-called pick-and-pay system that allows consumers to choose and pay only for the individual channels they want.

However, the CRTC hinted late last summer that it would be open to a pick-and-pay option built on top of a trimmed-down mandatory service the industry has dubbed skinny basic.

In a discussion framework released in August, the regulator suggested a price cap of between $20 and $30 could be imposed on basic TV

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pic...o-how-tv-channels-are-packaged-sold-1.3001058

way cool,

now I can get rid of the 100+ channels I don't use,, and pick the few I watch..

John McCain has tried to do this here in the States.
Never gets anywhere with it, too much lobbying going on.

I also have useless channels & movies that repeat for months at a time.
What should I expect for a 285 dollar monthly bill.
That also included my Hi-speed internet & home phone.

Cable sucks!

The movie channels......What a gaff! Remember when HBO first came out
in the 70's? First run movies every week. Now, like mentioned above, the
same thing old sh$t over and over.......and over again!

Give me a dozen of my favorite channels and I would be good.

I already have links for my PC's where I can watch The History Channel, A+E,
Fox News and others (same broadcast that is on the TV) 24/7 in HD for free.

Also have links where I can watch, commercial free non-stop, my old favorites
like M*A*S*H and Hogans Heroes and many others (I am easily entertained).

Ton's of stuff on You Tube like blocks of 200 videos of favorite shows that will
play non-stop.

Yes, be prepared to payfor it! We'll get less, but pay more.

But if they are channels we'll actually watch wouldn't that be better?

We have a "basic" package on Dish Network. We created a "favorites list" that has about 20 channels on it. The rest is crap, endless sports channels, shopping channels, Spanish speaking channels, religion channels, infomercials, etc.

I'd pay more to get rid of all that crap and have the channels that I actually want but don't get now, like National Geo, Discovery, Animal planet, Hunting channels, Speed, etc.

We'll see how that works.
I don't think it will be as good as it sounds.

I'd pay a monthy fee to get rid of all the dumb commercials.:banghead:

This sounds like a step in the right direction. I got sick and tired of paying for 100+ channels just to be able to see the few that I want to watch. I've tried cable, Dish, Direct TV, now all I have is Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. All for a small fraction of what I was paying the cable company.

But if they are channels we'll actually watch wouldn't that be better?

We have a "basic" package on Dish Network. We created a "favorites list" that has about 20 channels on it. The rest is crap, endless sports channels, shopping channels, Spanish speaking channels, religion channels, infomercials, etc.

I'd pay more to get rid of all that crap and have the channels that I actually want but don't get now, like National Geo, Discovery, Animal planet, Hunting channels, Speed, etc.

When was the last time a giant monopoly ever did anything to make it cheaper for the customer????

We're loosing Speed/Fox Racing as of April 1st regardless.....

-
Back