Cruise Control?

-

Professor Fate

Push the button, Max...
Reaction score
Last night, after consuming a couple of adult beverages, my feeble mind began to wander. Instead of pondering my navel like I usually do, a question popped up from the deep recesses of my subconscious:
Does cruise control work in reverse?
I assume that's a "No" for modern computer controlled engine management systems, and maybe even some older factory systems that are tied into the speedometer cable (I don't think a backwards rotating cable would trigger it correctly, but I could be wrong... as usual)- but what about some older factory (and aftermarket add-ons) that are primarily operated by manifold vacuum (AMC comes to mind)?
It would be interesting to hear some thoughts, so when a few barley pops get consumed later this evening my semi-senile mind can rest easy.

:popcorn:

Mine does!

Place small end on gas pedal, wedge large end between seat and your leg.

Any movement of your leg and Cruse control releases

Drove 1000 miles that way between CA and CO

Screenshot_20230329-121806.png

I'd be willing to bet that some of them work fine in reverse, if you can get it going fast enough to be in the range in which it would trigger. None of my old Dodges, either the old gas 1500, the Dakota, or the Cummins, will trigger below about 35

The 04 GMC will operate at 25mph

I dont see why any of the older ones wouldnt work. Like the one my swinger came with is just a mag pick-up off the drive shaft... The magnet doesn't know which way its going nor does the pick up care. As 67Dart273 pointed out getting up to the min speed in reverse is another question.

-
Back