cruse control with a manual tranny

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
this may not be the right place for this question,,I'll ask it here anyway,, anyone have experience adding cruse control to a 4 speed car?

anyone know of a kit that works well?
how difficult was the install...

thanks

I don't remember the name of the kit, hell they may even be gone by now.
I had a cruise control on my 66 falcon three speed manual years ago so I know they still make them.
I do remember that the instructions said "Only use the cruise control in high gear."

There are some on ebay here
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_kw=cruise+control+manual+trans

Kinda pricey
I remember mine being about 75 bucks.

you could do one like the 4x4 guys do...

they have a small level on the shifter for controlling the throttle...

could use the same thing...

I don't know who makes one offhand, but the only caveat is you need a clutch disconnect switch.

My old 87 and 86 Rangers both had 5 speeds and factory cruise. I still have the 86, and still use the cruise!!

Summit has a couple of brands of aftermarket cruise available. The cruise unit will have magnets that strap on the driveshaft with a nylon tie strap and there is a sensor that picks up the pulses. tmm

I used to put them on 4spd cars and pickups all the time. I think the one I used was made by Spicer back in the day. I know at least one in a 77 W150 still gets regular use. Stay clear of the ones that use magnet speed sensors on the driveshaft or axle. They never seemed to work very long. Be sure to include a clutch kickout and you'll be golden.

Just get one from a mid 70s C or B body, and graft in a 2nd brake light switch for the clutch.

I bought an (Audivox CCS-100 Cruise Control) for my sons Neon which was for automatics or manuals, I paid $99.99 for it 2 years ago, but I just looked and I can't find ANY of them now for less than $170.00 so I dont know WTH has happened, It was easy to hook up and works great, there are quite a few on Ebay maybe you could get cheaper if you like to play the bidding game, I have a Spicer/Dana on my Duster that I got in 1980 at Montgomery Wards and it works as good as the day I got it. GOOD LUCK it is the only way to go if you travel alot...

Attachments

• audivox cruise.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 254
I bought an (Audivox CCS-100 Cruise Control) for my sons Neon which was for automatics or manuals, I paid $99.99 for it 2 years ago, but I just looked and I can't find ANY of them now for less than $170.00 so I dont know WTH has happened, It was easy to hook up and works great, there are quite a few on Ebay maybe you could get cheaper if you like to play the bidding game, I have a Spicer/Dana on my Duster that I got in 1980 at Montgomery Wards and it works as good as the day I got it. GOOD LUCK it is the only way to go if you travel alot...

+1 I had one on my 67' GMC I drove from utah to here, worked awesome, wish they we're still around... I put a small earth magnet from radioshack on the driveshaft for the pickup, and chucked the one that comes in the box, actually it flew off..

I'm working on swapping cruise onto my 4 speed Duster right now. Figured if I had to mess with the cable anyway (housing in junk), why not make it better. Not a huge need, but I do drive about 50 miles round trip on the highway to work on a pretty regular basis right now so why not.

I grabbed most everything off an F-Body. Had to relocate my washer bottle to the other side of the engine compartment because the cables were just a little too short to put the cruise unit on the inner fender between the bottle and the battery, but I think I actually like it better that way anyway. Might even just use an F-Body washer bottle since the A-Body ones seem harder to find. Time will tell.

I haven't completely solved the issue if the clutch pedal switch yet, though. Thought about just ignoring it and making sure to tap the brake before I shifted, but I'm not sure I like the potential for disaster. I think what I will do is wire in a relay that opens a circuit when the clutch safety switch goes to ground (the factory one that keeps the car from starting until the clutch pedal is pushed in). Then wire the cruise control through that so that when the clutch pedal is pushed in, it opens the relay switch and cuts the cruise. I just don't know if there is enough adjustment in the OEM switch to make it work, or if it would remove the possibility of using the start feature as intended.

Just some thoughts.

Ouch. $280 seems steep, but I will admit it would be a cleaner setup that mine. You could even hide the servo under the dash pretty easily.

I did find a reference in the instructions to this kit when installing it on a diesel with a manual transmission. For that I would do what was already suggested, get a second brake light switch and mount it to work on the clutch pedal.

Ouch. $280 seems steep, but I will admit it would be a cleaner setup that mine. You could even hide the servo under the dash pretty easily.

I did find a reference in the instructions to this kit when installing it on a diesel with a manual transmission. For that I would do what was already suggested, get a second brake light switch and mount it to work on the clutch pedal.
must admit i did not look at the price. just knew it was there from when i was looking for a speedo for a bike i had.....

-
Back