Cuda 1/4 mile times?? here it is!

-

BARRACUDA340S

Reaction score
I am tryng to get Scotty the video of the runs today.

It ran fast but I couldn't get it out of the hole. As soon as I dumped the clutch it would lift the front tires and then fall on it's face. My 60 ft's were terrible.

60 ft 1.700
330 4.751
1/8 7.248
mph 99.38
1000 9.382
1/4 11.16
mph 127.02

After watching the film the tires spun all the way though 1st and the motor fell on it's face right from the start. Then when it cleaned up it put me in the seat for the rest of the ride. I think the cam isn't working with the 4 speed. The motor doesn't like anything under 4000 rpm. As soon as the tires grab, the motor lay's down. Then all of the sudden we go. 127 mph should net me a mid 10's but my 60 ft's were 1.7's all day. It used to 1.5 :roll: :roll: :roll: . I tried everything I knew and no results. My MPH was consistant all day but the ET isn't there.

I launched the fu$ker hard and it still layed down. I guess I have all winter to figure it out.

Sorry guy's, no 10's today. It's there, just need to figure it out.

Brett

Hey don't worry about it, your 127 MPH was 10's so your half way there :wink: , may just need a bit more tweaking. Do you have enough gear?

demonwiese said:
I'll trade your 11's for my 14's anyday! :drunken:

And I'll trade my immobile sh*tbox for 14's !!!!!

Sounds like ya got some horse's there Brett. Just gotta get `em corraled :wink:

ProStreetDuster said:
Hey don't worry about it, your 127 MPH was 10's so your half way there :wink: , may just need a bit more tweaking. Do you have enough gear?

The gearing seems right. I'm running 28" slick with 4.10's. The motor pulls hard the whole way, just can't get it out of the hole. :roll:

I bet it wants to be luanched at a higher RPM. ich isnt gonna happen with those little tires.

Time for some tubs and a set of 32X14s !

I launched it at 6 grand. It don't get any higher than that. As soon as the tires grab the motor just lay's down. I might need to degree the cam to 106 and bring the TQ curve down. I will also put my turtle in the intake plenum to help low end. If I can manage a 1.5 60 ft like it used to I should run some 10.60's to 10.80's. It takes half way through first gear for the motor to clean up.

Just thinking about what you were describing, any chance the floats are too high in the carb? That would do what you're describing on the launch.

There's several things that can cause the car to lay down like you describe.

Tell me a little more and I'll check the with the Genie in the fuel jug and see what he says...

Where's your initial timing set at
Where does it all come in
What's the total timing

What Carb are you running
Are you running jet extentions
Do you have a vent to vent loop
What fuel pump are you using
How big are you supply lines
Are you using any spacers under the carb
Which manifold

How big is the cam at .050
How much compression
How big is the intake valve
What temp is your thermostat
Al or steel heads

Answer these questions and the Genie will find the answers...he knows all...see's all and what happens at the track stays at the track :D

Lets put your engine and tranny in my car and I think that would solve the problem :D

cuda66273 said:
There's several things that can cause the car to lay down like you describe.

Tell me a little more and I'll check the with the Genie in the fuel jug and see what he says...

Where's your initial timing set at
Where does it all come in
What's the total timing

What Carb are you running
Are you running jet extentions
Do you have a vent to vent loop
What fuel pump are you using
How big are you supply lines
Are you using any spacers under the carb
Which manifold

How big is the cam at .050
How much compression
How big is the intake valve
What temp is your thermostat
Al or steel heads

Answer these questions and the Genie will find the answers...he knows all...see's all and what happens at the track stays at the track :D[/quote

Initial is 22 and all in at 40 by 2200 rpm

I'm running a 1000 cfm holley by Pro Systems
No loop
carter mech 120 GPH
3/8 line
1" HVH---made an extra 20 rwhp with this spacer on the dyno--TQ was good too
Using INDY 360-2 single plane cut down 1"
cam is 250's intake and 260's exhaust 620's lift
intake valve is 2.10
12.4 comp
185 thermo but car won't even get to 165
heads are Indy 360-2 CNC ported flow 338 intake

Cam degree'd in at 108 off a 112. I think it's a combo between cam power curve and carb. Motor hates low rpm's. As soon as the tires grab the motor pukes.

You loop it to keep gas from spilling out the vent tube on launch.

I priced a bigs and his prices went up which I understand so I decided not to do anything and them a friend of mine got in touch with Patrick James at pro systems and told him what I had for a motor and I was a BIG's guy. Well Patrick shot me a hell of a deal on a carb so I went for it. This was a friday and I had the carb tues. Fast service and Patrick is a great guy. The carb is not cooperating right now and I haven't had time to really mess with it so I will reserve judgement for the time being. He's supposed to be good from what I hear, but mine sure didn't hit the mark out of the box. Plus he looked at my dyno number's and asked what heads and when I said Indy he said he knew exactly why my fuel curve looked the way it did and said he could fix the problem. Plus he has a lot of exerience with Scott Brown cams pulling hard on the booster's at hi rpms so I went for it. I did talk to Jessie 1st and he gave me a price, it was just more than I wanted to spend. Then Jessie emailed me back with a special deal, probably because I have sold and promoted his carbs for a long time. The problem was it was to late. I had already bought a different carb. I still think BIGS is great and I'm sure I'll do business with Jessie again.

Right off the bat I can see an Fuel issue.

That carb is bigger than the 995 King Demon we run on our 9.80's 440 Dart.

A HV Mechanical will support about 400 HP Max in a race application, you need a proper fuel system....maybe a 220 RR pump, reg and proper supply lines.

40* of timing is way to much and it's coming in too soon for the gear and tire combo you have. I've run 40-42 total timing....in a 410 Outlaw Sprintcar, on injected alcohol at 8800 RPM, never in a naturally aspirated gas engine.

Jack the initial to about 26, total at 35...maybe 36, have it come in at about 3k for that stick car. Try a 750 Race Demon on it, I garrantee it'll go faster than that 1000CFM Carb.

Dyno's...... :roll: ....I hate those things, nobody EVER uses them correctly...WE DON"T DRIVE DYNO'S!

Did Pro Systems say you needed a 1000CFM Carb????

Don I know you know your Demon carbs but have you sold alot of them for the 4" strokers? They love big CFMs.

BRETT,
jesse is helping me to try and fix my problem with my carb....its missing/leaning out on high rpm's...over 6200.

Yes, it will lean out; if the air speed or velocity can't maximize the booster flow then it will lean out, typical symptoms of a carb that's way too big.

Put 100 jets in it and it'll still be lean.

Yes we have set up fuel systems on the 400+ inch strokers, lot's of them. Fuel requirements are determined by RPM, CID and combustion chamber efficiency.

I can't guaranty you that a 750 Mighty is the perfect carb for you but I will guaranty the 1000 CFM is wrong and your fuel delivery system will never keep up to your motor.

Go to my web site and complete the spec sheet and email it to me and I'll size the carb and fuel delivery system correctly.

If you’re using a stock tank your going to have to make some changes. We have found a source on New Fuel Tanks Made In Canada for many of our classic Mopars, these are all new material and of a heavy enough gauge to tig weld the sumps into. All emmissions vents are tigged closed...basically converts a stock tank to a big fuel cell.

We have also designed a new Round Aluminum fuel cell that drops into the spare tire well in the trunk, they have a built in slosh baffle, 2 - 5/8" Bungs, -08 vent fitting and a aircraft style filler cap

Watch our web site this week we'll be adding pictures and a complete application listing. This is something we've been working on for a few months, convincing the manufacturer to make the tanks and perfecting the welding and spacers to fill the pleats in the sheet metal.

Don, yes Patrick said to use the 1000 cfm. He used dominator metering blocks in it also. I has a 750 cfm on the stroker at 1st and went to a 950 and it was like adding NOS. I know a lot of stroker guy's running 950's to 1050 dominator's. These are holley carbs so maybe they work different than BG. I do have a BG 1000 cfm race demon and that's the carb I dynoed with. The reason I have the timing where it is, is because it made more power at 40 than 38 or 36 and the fuel curve was actually rich at the top end. That is why Patrick used the dominator metering block to help lean it out. He has a lot of experience with the indy heads and Scott Brown cam shafts so that is why I gave him a chance to build me a carb. I will take all the advice I can get and thanks for responding.

If my fuel system won't keep up with the motor how come I was able to go 127 MPH and it pulled al the way. I'm not doubting you just curious? Maybe there's a lot more there and I don't know it yet.

-
Back