Cuda shaker hood on 73 swinger

-

hotrod swinger

Reaction score
This hood fits a 73 swinger, correct?

The hood is available through AMD.

Is it just an air grabber unit I need to complete this? If so, are those reproduced?

Thank you, and god bless the USA!

A1CA1AA4-CD5A-4224-B0CE-EA857C873C10.jpeg
1E225C65-05FB-4B7A-A531-28E18EF27F24.jpeg

Just found a reproduction shaker intake set on eBay for $2,500, with the hood this looks like a $4,000 job, yikes.

Is there a little bit cheaper path forward?

Last edited:
In post 1, that particular application doesn't look that bad.

This hood fits a 73 swinger, correct?

The hood is available through AMD.

Is it just an air grabber unit I need to complete this? If so, are those reproduced?

Thank you, and god bless the USA!

View attachment 1715872322 View attachment 1715872323
The '69 Barracuda and late Dart hoods share the same contours, but I thought the hinges and mounting bolt pattern differed between the two slightly, inasmuch as you need to use the late hinges with the Dart hood, early hinges with the Barracuda hood- if you do that, they're interchangeable. I may be mistaken; I have never done that swap myself. Hood latch/release mechanism also differs, but not sure if that is an issue.

Im pretty sure AMD is no longer making a cuda shaker hood. Besides, an E body cuda hood will not fit an A body.
Maybe a better option would be to splice in an air grabber from 71 B body. I think everything but the actual hood is available new for around $2500-$3000. They used a fiberglass bubble on the top of the hood and would be much easier to retrofit.

Just found a reproduction shaker intake set on eBay for $2,500, with the hood this looks like a $4,000 job, yikes.

Depends. You can lose about half the shaker hardware if you bolt the shaker bubble to the hood. Obviously at that point you don’t have a true shaker, you basically just have a hood with a shaker scoop. But you also have much better access to your engine.

Just depends on what you’re after.

Generally, in these situations, I just say that it's better to get the E-body than it is to make the A-body into something it isn't and will never be. When I'm driving my Swinger, sometimes I picture myself driving a '67 GTX. I love the look of the AAR 'Cuda. But my Swinger will never be either one, no matter how much crap I graft on.

That said, in an A-body Barracuda, that shaker looks really good.

Like, too good.

Like, to the point that I wonder if that is really an E-body shaker, because those things are HUUUGE, and I would think it would look out of proportion on an A body. They're almost out of proportion on E-bodies.

But regardless, if you want an E-body, buy one. Otherwise, I'd recommend loving the Dart for what it is.

Generally, in these situations, I just say that it's better to get the E-body than it is to make the A-body into something it isn't and will never be. When I'm driving my Swinger, sometimes I picture myself driving a '67 GTX. I love the look of the AAR 'Cuda. But my Swinger will never be either one, no matter how much crap I graft on.

That said, in an A-body Barracuda, that shaker looks really good.

Like, too good.

Like, to the point that I wonder if that is really an E-body shaker, because those things are HUUUGE, and I would think it would look out of proportion on an A body. They're almost out of proportion on E-bodies.

But regardless, if you want an E-body, buy one. Otherwise, I'd recommend loving the Dart for what it is.

I bet it’s an E-body shaker. Fun fact, A-body hoods are wider than E-body hoods. The E body is wider overall, but it’s in the fenders.

-
Back