Cummins mpg vs 225 Slant 6 mpg

-
okay well now I've found out the guy I was talking to and myself were talking about two totally different trucks. the 82 is a slant 6 four speed with a hole in the gas tank.

If it's a factory Cummins and not a conversion go the cummins. The 1st. generation can get closer to 25 MPG. They however will not go as fast MPH as the newer Diesels because the gearing back then was different and you did not have the overdrive ratios they have now.

Does take more$$$ to change the oil & filters versus the slanty.

It can't be a factory installed Cummins. Dodge didn't put the Cummins in until 1989 model year trucks. and then it came only in heavy duty 3/4 ton or heavier trucks. a d150 is a half ton. an 82 would mean its a conversion, some are done good, others are hacked in there.

We have owned 6 Cummins powered Dodges. The first being an 89 Ram 350 5 speed, that truck gets consistently gets mid 20s MPG unloaded and high teens loaded, sometimes lower depending on weight. We've hauled tractors and equipment weighing damn near 20 tons and it never has missed a beat. A week or so ago, it was -23 actual temp, that little ol 89 fired up, with out the block heater instantly. My brand new Jeep....took a couple tries.

All that said, I would go with a Cummins for a daily driver. look for 89-93 model years, if you can drive a stick, try to find one with a 5 spd. You're mileage will be higher and you wont have to deal with that nasty A518 auto trans. But I would not buy that 82. Unless the price is extremely cheap, as in <2000

Nobody asked if it was one of those pre turbo motors, if it is skip it...

yeah the pre turbo ones were early 1989, still worked good but not as much jam, but really good fuel milage

WRONG WRONG.

The Cummins motors in the dodges were ALL turbo. Not all were intercooled, intercoolers were put in mid 1990

Our 89, we've owned since it was ordered in 1988, is number 16 off the line. It is turbo'd, though tiny and non-intercooled.

just found out the 82 has a 2nd gen cummins

That would be the P7100 series injection pump years. 94-98. Great pumps, reliable and a highly sought after pump. Only reason they went away from it was EPA emissions....

-
Back