Cummins Turbo Diesel in a A-body??

-
Why would you wanna do that? They are a mile longer than any other engine (move firewall or rad support a mile), and they're ton's heavy.

(shrug)

Why would you wanna do that? They are a mile longer than any other engine (move firewall or rad support a mile), and they're ton's heavy.

(shrug)

It's something you don't see everyday. This would be an all drag car so firewall mods, etc would be no prob. More and more people are doing it with other cars, (Duramax in Camaro's, etc) just not many Mopars. Sure they're heavy but the power potential makes up for it. At the diesel drags this year....at 6000 ft above sea level, there were some Dodge ext cab 3/4-1ton 4x4's w/Cummins running in the 11's!! And they drove them there and drove them home. That's a pig heavy truck! Imagine that torque moving something nearly half the weight of that truck. Also, diesel is diesel, they run off compression/heat...no need for race fuel or octane booster.

That's a pretty aggressive project you're getting ready to bite off 64SRT8Dart.

The engine (B 5.9), as you noted, is very heavy (12 valves are almost 200lbs heavier than a Hemi and 24 valves weigh OVER 1100 lbs); it's very long (40"); and, probably most important, it's very tall (39"). That means it's as tall as it is long. To make it work, you're looking at a major investment in body and frame mods, and front suspension work just to move it around. That uni-body stuff is not going to work - for very long, that is. You'd probably be better off starting with a frame and just splice the body onto it.

I'm kinda like you, in that I've wanted to build a hotrod diesel as well, but to help me attain such a goal, I would pursue either a rat rod; a dedicated rail; or race vehicle set up to take the massive low end torque and horse power.

Obviously, as someone noted above, anything can be accomplished these days. It all boils down to our 'endurance', financial and othewise.

Good luck whatever you pursue and post up some pics.

Southernman

Thanks Southernman! Yeah, i've researched some measurments on the B5.9 12 valve...I hear from friends at work...who drive Cummins trucks, that they are easier to modify and get performance out of cuz they are all mechanical, no electrical stuff(till I think 94). Also, about the 40 inch length, I couldn't find whether that was from flywheel to pullies or just the block itself. Pulling some dimensions on the car, I would have to cut 8-10 inches into the firewall, while modifying the windshield (lexan) of course.
Not sure about biting into it yet, if at all...finances, time, etc, etc. Just toying with the idea and trying to get opinions and stuff.

A cummins 4bt would be money in an abody, guys run them in scouts, jeeps and broncos quite a bit!

A guy at work has a 4bt lying around too. Wonder what the power potential is on those little guys?? Wonder how much boost they can handle?
At work, they were pushing me to put the 4bt in my Valiant. I think they were joking though.

A guy at work has a 4bt lying around too. Wonder what the power potential is on those little guys?? Wonder how much boost they can handle?
At work, they were pushing me to put the 4bt in my Valiant. I think they were joking though.
a guy on moparts put one in a 71 up charger theres a write up on it I think, good luck fiting one in a A body, too long. and too heavy.

What about that 70 chevelle that has the dirty max in it. It blows doors off big blocks and still gets 30mpg. I really want to see it if you do. good luck bro.

guy brought a 68 dart to mmw wasnt pretty but functional he drove it down from quad cities on saturday said he got 28mpg it was a 4cyl cummins i think he said ,i took a couple pics but think i may have lost it.

I would say go with the 4BT also.

That 5.9 cummins is huge like everyone has said.
Also it is really heavy!
I have read that you have to do a staight axle swap up front to hold up all the weight.

Good luck!

I have always thought Dodge missed a lot of sales by not putting a 4bt in the standard 1/2 ton 1500. And producing a super high MPH diesel Dakota.

I think a 5.9 (6bt or isb) would be awsome in an abody. However im sure it would take alot of work. A 4 bt would definatley be easier to fit in.

I always thought a 3208 cat would be a fun engine to stick in an older car.

Here is a Monte Carlo with a 24 Valve. I realize the Monte Carlo is a bigger car but it fits pretty good in there.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_kjaxIDzc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_kjaxIDzc[/ame]

To heavy. Would brake the car in half. Would need a lot of work in that are to make it work. Be cool though. Know guys with daily driver Diesel trucks running in the 10's. There around 7000lb so cut it down to 4000lb and you could be in the 7's and still drive it every day.

Aside from weight, length, and work involved. I believe it would be amazing! If you have the frame and the suspension to hold it then by all means! It would be fun to watch a build thread of such magnitude

-
Back