Curing header paint

-

moparmandan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Think I got something here. Had to pressure washer the pork fat out first........
20220219_143956.jpg

Just so Your bacon doesn't end up smelling like VHT....

That should work fine. You can also paint them, Install them carefully using gloves so as not to touch them and then let the heat of the engine cure them during a run in of at least 20 minutes.

Like it was made for it!!

Did that burner at the bottom heat the lower section too much?
I had all intentions of painting them and curing them today but other things happened. Looks like I'm not going to get to it till next weekend. I did think about that though. There's actually a little diffuser that goes over the top of the burner so I'm hoping not. We shall see. Other than curing them on the car, or taking them to a powder coater oven, this is my only option.

That should work fine. You can also paint them, Install them carefully using gloves so as not to touch them and then let the heat of the engine cure them during a run in of at least 20 minutes.
They'll get cured on the car eventually, right? LOL. This is to just get the paint cured a little better before they go on.

A lot of racers I know use ATF as a curing agent...yeah it stinks when you first fire up the engine but it works pretty good. Wipe on burn off.

I had all intentions of painting them and curing them today but other things happened. Looks like I'm not going to get to it till next weekend. I did think about that though. There's actually a little diffuser that goes over the top of the burner so I'm hoping not. We shall see. Other than curing them on the car, or taking them to a powder coater oven, this is my only option.
just an idea....
Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 2.20.40 PM.png

Just a tip that works for us is use john Deer high temp muffler paint. Also wipe it down with WD-40 after every heat cycle ( least 3 or four heat cycles) before you put hard runs through them...
:thumbsup:

A lot of racers I know use ATF as a curing agent...yeah it stinks when you first fire up the engine but it works pretty good. Wipe on burn off.
Really? Hmmmm. Think that'll work curing them in the smoker? Thanks for the tip!

Just a tip that works for us is use john Deer high temp muffler paint. Also wipe it down with WD-40 after every heat cycle ( least 3 or four heat cycles) before you put hard runs through them...
:thumbsup:
Well that's too recommendations for some sort of oil curing in between heat cycles. Y'all really got me thinking.

Well that's too recommendations for some sort of oil curing in between heat cycles. Y'all really got me thinking.
Mine usually oil cure when I'm running the engine with the valve cover off and I'm adjusting the rockers on my Chebby???

Mine usually oil cure when I'm running the engine with the valve cover off and I'm adjusting the rockers on my Chebby???
LOL, I remember the first time I saw one of my buddies do that. Good grief what a mess. Thanks for the memory.

Fast forward to 10:30... you will see the smoke from the ATF on these headers. Not too bad...

-
Back